Thread: can't get Motorola Defy unlocked to connect in U.S

can't get Motorola Defy unlocked to connect in U.S

Hi guys, I have brought an Unlocked Motorola Defy. I bought it from UK. Two days ago when I was in Germany I was able to access it without any problem. Currently I am in United States and here I am having some issue while accessing the Defy. When I put the T mobile SIM card in it, there was no problem in making calls and connecting to WiFi but there is no data connection in T Mobile Data network. The T mobile customer support said that there is some problem because of European settings. How can I get rid of this problem. Please help me.

Re: can't get Motorola Defy unlocked to connect in U.S

Make sure that United States provides support for the Motorola Defy phone. Is your phone a triband phone. If it is a triband phone then it can be used in three regions US, Europe, and Asia. The T Mobile has different frequency for 3G in different regions. T mobile purchased in US will work on 3G in Europe as Europe region uses 2100 band frequency. But the European mobile phone will not work in United States. Though you may have facility to make calls but there you will not be provided data connection.

As your Motorola Defy is a Quad band phone, you are allowed to make calls in United States but you may not avail the facility of using 3G unless your phone has 1700 frequency. There are very few phones that I know can work on T-Mo, AT&T and international 3G. If the T-Mobile customer support in USA can’t help you with any solution then you have to contact Motorola Defy support Team. I guess they can solve your problem.

The problem that you are facing is not because the phone malfunction but it is all because of the frequency. If you bought Motorola Defy from United States it will work on USA T-Mo 3G as well as on European T-Mo 3G. If it is an iphone, then also it will work on AT&T 3G and Euro 3G. The 3G service is newly introduced in USA as compared to the rest of the regions. So T-Mo and AT&T have their own frequency. You can contact the Motorola customer support for help.

One of the phone that I know can work on T-Mo, AT&T and international 3G is Nokia N8. It is designed and developed such that it is capable to work in all three 3G networks. Though Motorola Defy that is supported by T-Mo, it is unable to control, the way Euro model is designed. United States T-Mo works well in home country as well in other countries, on 3G

Friends, thanks a lot for answering my query. It is very annoying, phone purchased in United states supports 3G in any other regions, but the European model is not supported by United States T-Mo 3G. I quoted my problem to Motorola, but still waiting for some good advices. I have to stay for three months in US and then I will move back to Germany. Till then I have to use my laptop for browsing internet. There is no problem in incoming and outgoing calls.