Thread: Motorola DEFY GPS Antenna

Motorola DEFY GPS Antenna

Does anybody recognize where is the GPS antenna of the Motorola Defy is situated? Motivation I request is, I make use of the GPS to pathway my running, by the use of Cardiotrainer, and I discover that the tracks are fairly unpredictable, evaluated to my Milestone before. I usually seize the mobile phone in my hand whilst running; therefore I doubted if my hand is protecting the antenna or else somewhat. If I make out where the antenna located is, I might attempt to pass up wrapping it with my hand and observe if that advances afterward precision of the tracks.

Re: Motorola DEFY GPS Antenna

I'm getting comparable problems through the GPS on my Motorola Defy, except I'm utilizing it to track my bike rides. While doing accordingly, I place the Defy on a pouch inside my bag I'm not still stirring it. Seeing as my HTC Magic does follow my way completely on that similar backpack. I think that it is moreover an issue of inadequately positioned GPS antenna otherwise a number of software bug that will be approved with a firmware update.

If you are utilizing genuine GPS, I can't observe how it can function within your backpack. By the side of this time I am running "GPS Status" (free of charge application on Android market) with actual GPS which displays the satellites and their power. Currently, I am inside by means of a sequence of skylights transparency (not perfect) and I am viewing ten satellites through extremely excellent strength. I have tried wrapping different parts of the mobile phone (counting the top) except notice extremely small failure of strength.

Recently, I've observed that the GPS tracks are improved, and I furthermore become aware of that I've been holding the mobile phone within my hand through the display in front of my palm, i.e. with battery wrap facing away. The black wire appears to be further on top of the battery cover surface, therefore the method I'm holding it almost certainly indicates it's further uncovered and thus can obtain a healthier signal.

The mobile designer faces more than a few issues while integrating a GPS antenna. Foremost, it has to be extremely low cost. Secondly, it has to be generally unidirectional, as there is no information of “up” on a cellular phone, even though several makers rely on the truth that site will only be desired while the mobile phone is in the user’s hand or an in-car box. From the GPS viewpoint, we want the antenna to be as distant from the communications antenna as likely, and as well detached from additional transmitting services for example Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, plus FM. Users should not be capable to detune the antenna away of band by putting their hands on top of the mobile phone. In a ideal planet, they would not unclear an antenna also.

There are excellent GPS antenna results out there, except phone makers have frequently avoided them on the basis of price or still size. Limitations on these constraints harshly obstruct the antenna designer, like dropping a GPS L1 antenna underneath its “usual” size — concerning 4 centimeters intended for a monopole on normally utilized FR4-type written circuit board (PCB) objects — unavoidably denote moreover utilizing several superior dielectric material, which puts in price, or breakdown the formation up, which reduces performance.