Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

NOMAD Zen Xtra 40GB powers on then off

Portable Devices

Old 21-04-2011

NOMAD Zen Xtra 40GB powers on then off

This has been so frustrating and Iím just trying to figure out if there's anything i can do with my old nomad Zen xtra to get it working, the thing is that when i try to power it on it simply wonít do anything!! And when i try to plug in power cable to charge it just comes up with the creative labs screen then turns off then again on and off! i tried the reset thing and it doesn't work, computer does not recognize it?! So is there anything i can do about that?

Old 21-04-2011

Re: NOMAD Zen Xtra 40GB powers on then off

No, I've never opened the thing up, though I've read here that you can change out the HD. I would tend to think as you do that a new ND might not be the answer, as it is unlikely the HD is the issue you've described. I think it's the firmware. I spoke with a guy from customer support today that seemed to know his stuff. He had me download a new driver, but it didn't work. The reset has helped w/ some issues, but apparently created others.
Old 21-04-2011

You have not given any indication as to the age of the battery of your player. It may need to be replaced. I can say if I allow my battery to become much drained when I plug it in to charge it will cut on & off for a while. If your battery is old & or has not been charged for a long while you may need to get a new one. I would not be replacing a hard drive for what you described without checking that first.
Old 21-04-2011

If your battery is good and it won't work off that then the power supply is not the issue.
A. Can you determine if the battery is holding a charge?
B. Or can you borrow a battery you know is good to test the player?
I realize that A may not be possible w/out a tester, and B is highly unlikely unless you know someone with the same player. Best I can suggest though.
Old 23-04-2011

Not weird, it makes sense. Sounds like the battery is bad.
The only other way to test the player would be to use a charged batter that you know is good. If that works then you know it's the power supply. If it doesn't then it's either
A the drive or
B a firmware issue, which I doubt.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , ,