Thread: Multimedia controller not working on Dell D9150

Multimedia controller not working on Dell D9150

I recently purchased Dell D9150, to be precise 2 months back. It is running windows 7 in it. It has been working very well till now but from yesterday it has started with this unusual problem of multimedia controllers and the PCI input device both showing yellow question mark when checking on the Device Manager. I am unable to detect the problem and the solution to get rid of it. This thing has really started annoying me now. Does anyone know what should be done in order to get rid of it permanently? Please help me with your suggestions.

Re: Multimedia controller not working on Dell D9150

There are very high chances that your Dell D9150 has been attacked with some kind of virus or Trojan in recent time, which must have caused this unusual behavior of your multimedia controllers and the PCI input device. I would suggest you to perform complete system scan, so that you can detect the virus if there is any and get rid of it. Always make sure to keep your antivirus database updated and remember to perform your system scan after periodic interval of time. This will keep your system protected from the new viruses which are affecting the computers.

After judging the specifications of Dell D9150, I realized that it comes with an integrated Intel sound card. So if you have added another PCI sound card in your system then probably you have to enter the BIOS settings and disable the onboard sound. Also make sure that the PCI sound card and the multimedia controllers are properly inserted inside their respective slots. If possible try to insert the PCI sound card in other PCI slots and check whether the problem is solved or you are still facing the same problem.

Hey guys, thank you for the quick replies, but unfortunately they did not helped me in any ways. As you said I crossed checked whether my system is infected with virus or not by performing scan with my AVAST antivirus and also by performing online scan of my system. But luckily nothing was detected. I even checked the BIOS setting and even after turning off the onboard sound (which was already turned off) nothing seems to have working for me. All the connections are fine and nothing seems to be loose but still this problem is annoying me. Does anyone have a proper solution for my problem? Your suggestions are appreciated. Please help me.

As it is showing yellow question mark along the name of the multimedia controllers and PCI input device, it is for sure your respective drivers are not installed in your system. You should probably use the Dell Utilities CD to reinstall all this drivers in your system. You must be provided with it when you purchased the Laptop. If you are unable to find the CD then you should probably contact the nearest Dell Store for the same or contact the retailer who sold you the Dell laptop and ask for the Dell Utilities CD from them. Installing drivers from that CD will help you rectify your problem.

You said the problem started all of a sudden, and there was no issue before. So you can perform system restore of your system to roll back to any stored instance on the past. Navigate to the following path to perform System restore:
    • Go to Start>All programs>Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.
    • Select the restore point to which you wish to restore your system and click next
    • Allow the system to perform the restoration task and restart your system when prompted.

You can also download the drivers for the respective devices from the official website of Dell. Install them and check whether the problem is solved or not.