Thread: How to solve overheating in Dell Studio 1555

How to solve overheating in Dell Studio 1555

It’s being only 4 months since I purchased my Dell Studio 1555 and it has already started with lots of trouble. I have been facing overheating issues with it. The problem arises only when I am performing some intensive 3D applications. I am unable to find the reason behind this uneven overheating of my laptop. So I wanted to ask whether anyone knew why my laptop is overheating. And what I can do to solve it? Your suggestions will be appreciated. Please help me get rid of my problems.

Re: How to solve overheating in Dell Studio 1555

The main reason behind the overheating of your Dell laptop 1555 is the accumulation of dirt and dust inside your laptop and thus choking the ventilation of it. You should always make sure that you keep your laptop free from dust as much as possible. The dust particle which pass through the ventilators stick to the inside surface and starts to build-up an insulating layer that stops the working of cooling system. This causes the overheating problems. The only solution to this problem is to clean the cooling system and always make sure to keep it clean.

You can use an aerosol air duster or a vacuum cleaner to clean your laptop and keep dust and dirt away from it. Before cleaning the laptop you must make sure that:
    • The laptop is disconnected from any source of power and also it is switched off.
    • You should use the air duster to pump out the dust from the intake grills, exhaust ports and other ventilators in your laptop. You can do it by blowing the pressure air through them.
    • You must use the vacuum cleaner at the same time to suck those loose dust particles.

Make sure you repeat this process every two-three months so that your laptop’s cooling system is in good working state. This minimizes the need to buy any powered cooling tray or other special gadget.

You should probably try to change the heat sink of your laptop. There must be an issue with your heat sink. Also you can search for some underclocking software on internet and use it to underclock the GPU so that it consumes less voltage. One such software which I have come across is RivaTuner. You can give it a try to perform underclocking or overclocking of your GPU. You can also try to install a new cooling system in your system, so that the temperature of your system is kept well under control.

You said that you have purchased your laptop just few months back. So, mostly your laptop is still under the warranty period. I am still surprised no one reminded you that your laptop can be repaired and replaced as it is still under warranty period. You must contact the nearest Dell store or the store from where you purchased your laptop and claim your warranty. It will be better to hand over your laptop to those people rather than experimenting thing by yourself and there by risking your laptop to more problems. The repair will be free of cost.

The main source of overheating and accumulation of heat inside the laptop cabinet is the heat generated by the CPU itself and various other background unnecessary processes. These processes just make the situation into worst conditions. These processes make the processor do the unwanted extraordinary work thus generating more and more heat. As the cooling fan is pretty much small it is not completely helpful in getting rid of those extra heats which are generated. You should remove all these unwanted processes and remove little burden from the processor. It is suggested that you must manually configure the start up programs and should keep them to minimum.