Thread: What are the symbols on the right side of your Windows Phone 7 emulator?

What are the symbols on the right side of your Windows Phone 7 emulator?

I have been using Windows Phone 7 from a while now. Today I reinstalled many of the Phone app software in it. But now I noticed something strange. Now when I am starting emulator, I see some characters, some sort of codes, on the right hand side of the emulator. But these codes where not present before the re-installation. I am unable to find out what must be causing this problem. I want to get rid of them. What should I do to remove them? Does anyone know anything related to this topic? Please help me.

Re: What are the symbols on the right side of your Windows Phone 7 emulator?

Those symbols like things on the top right side of the emulator screen are performance counters and are placed there mostly for game developers. When an application is made to run in Windows Phone Emulator, you use the frame rate counters. They are responsible for monitoring the performance of your running application. It will provide you with a virtual environment which can be used for developing, debugging and testing application. It provides the performance details of a device.

The Windows Phone 7 emulator monitors the performance aspects of a Windows Phone 7 app by providing the following counters:
    • Composition (Render) Thread Frame Rate (FPS) --The rate at which the screen is updated.
    • User Interface Thread Frame Rate (FPS) --The rate at which the UI thread is running.
    • Texture memory usage -- This will show the system and video memory copies of textures which are being used by the application.
    • Surface counter – This property will show the number of explicit surface which are provided to the GPU to get processed.
    • Intermediate texture count – It shows the number of implicit surfaces that are generated because of cached surfaces
    • Screen fill rate counter – It is the number of pixels colored per frame with respect to the screen. A value of 1 represents 480 x 800 pixels.

You can enable or disable the frame rate counters in your code. Open the file App.xaml.cs and search for the following code:
    // Show graphics profiling information while debugging.
    if (System.Diagnostics.Debugger.IsAttached)
    {
    // Display the current frame rate counters.
    Application.Current.Host.Settings.EnableFrameRateCounter = true;

// Other codeā€¦
    }

Set EnableFrameRateCounter to true to enable frame rate counter.
    Application.Current.Host.Settings.EnableFrameRateCounter = true;

Set EnableFrameRateCounter to false to disable frame rate counter.
    Application.Current.Host.Settings.EnableFrameRateCounter = false;

Thank you everyone for those helpful replies. It was very kind of you guys to spend some time from your life and reply to my query thread. You guys are really life saver. Thanks for sharing the knowledge about those small codes on the right top side of the emulator monitor. I was under the pretext that something wrong has gone with my Windows Phone 7 and I was thinking that I need to get it repaired. It was very great of you to tell me how to disable it, because those things create distraction a lot of time to me. Anyways keep doing the good work of helping people like me.