Thread: How to close an app in Blackberry Playbook Tablet Simulator?

How to close an app in Blackberry Playbook Tablet Simulator?

Read a lot about the new Blackberry Playbook so brought one for myself today morning. It is amazing but still confusing as I am a newbie to this device. I am stuck in between something. I finished compiling the sketchpadstandard into an app and was running the program in the stimulator. But I am unable to find out how to close/quit/exit the app when in the simulator? Does anyone have got any knowledge about the same. If anyone has got solution then please suggest me something.

Re: How to close an app in Blackberry Playbook Tablet Simulator?

It is very much easy to close the app when in simulator. You can make use of the “Bottom-swipe” gesture which you will find to start in the bottom bezel region. You can drag it into the screen area. By doing this, you will realize that the app window has minimized itself. At this point you can decide whether you want to close the app by clicking on the X widget or you can drag it up to “toss it” away. You must read the starters guide to get more information on this topic. Also have a look on the associated docs.

Thank you for the reply. It was very kind of you to stop by my post and help me out. It was so easy and I was panicking so much. I would like to get more information on this topic, like on the gestures and how the interaction with bezel is made possible. Where I can find more information about the working of Blackberry Playbook Tablet Simulator? Suggestion would be appreciated. I really want to know more about it and make the optimum use of this technology. Thanks in advance.

These are few of the functions you can try while using Blackberry playbook.
    Minimizing the running app : You can perform this by holding the mouse button down while your cursor is over the bottom bezel. Drag it up into your app just like a touch ‘swipe’. It seems to be little confusing as stimulator is not provided with any built-in function to close apps once they are opened in development.
    Changing orientation : you can do it by performing the same procedure as above. Just you have to end your swipe in the bottom right hand corner of the app.

I also have a solution to solve your problem, but it is programmatic approach. If you are good with it then you can try it:
    function dialogOnExit(index)
    {
    if (index==0) blackberry.app.exit();
    }
    function onExit(){
    var abc = new Array("Exit Dialog",blackberry.ui.dialog.SIZE_SMALL,blackberry.ui.dialog.LOC_CENTER);
    blackberry.ui.dialog.standardAsk("Exit?", blackberry.ui.dialog.D_OK_CANCEL, dialogOnExit, abc);
    }
    Where, onExit would triggered by some event, like a button click.
    Remember to add the following code in the config.xml file:
    <feature id="blackberry.ui.dialog" required = "true" version="1.0.0"/>
    <feature id="blackberry.app" required = "true" version="1.0.0"/>