Thread: Zen Xtra failed to turn on

Zen Xtra failed to turn on

I was upgrading to the new firmware released 2 days ago. I had my Zen Xtra plugged into my PC and into a wall socket to prevent a sudden battery loss. The status meter goes through its thing, installing the new firmware. It then says "restarting player" like it should. And it never turned back on. I left it there for about an hour before I tried to turn it back on manually. Then I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the power cable and then the battery. The reset hole doesn't work nor does turning it on. It just sits there as if there was no battery and power plugged into it. I have already sent an email to customer service but I bet this forum can be quicker. Thanks in advance.

Re: Zen Xtra failed to turn on

I think that there is something wrong while updating the firmware and that is the reason that it get reset while it is connected to the mains adapter. According to me the only option left for you is to wait and for the support to reply you. Because it will need to be replaced. You can send them mail again if you have not got any reply for your previous email. I wish that it will be resolved soon.

I personally am frustrated and disgusted that I am now left with a very expensive paper weight due to a poor firmware release by Creative themselves which they now expect me to pay for because of their poor programming abilities. I have read other comments of people who have experienced the same situation and so I would like to make these large numbers known to Creative. If anyone has experienced this same problem please make the community aware by posting on this message. I would sincerely advise others not to upgrade until Creative have addressed this issue completely as I do not want others to have the experiences I am having now.

I have a few tips for those who do want to keep playing with this piece.
    • If player won't charge, plug power adapter in and out a few times repeatedly until it "shocks" it into recharge mode.
    • Player frozen (EAX on screen constantly etc) hold down play and press reset button with a pin. You will have to wipe the drive completely (format).
    • Buy a REAL mp3 player –IPOD.

This is a global problem to Creative, do not Creative think on its name as a serious company, this problem it is caused for the firmware upgrade, and in the way this "bugged" upgrade lays on line the problem will continuously growing and the cost to fix it of course? Creative must fix the problem (either on warranty or not), only in this way will help to us the customers and itself to recover this very, very BAD image from Creative. The cost to get new customers is "FIVE" times than maintain the old ones.

I too have become the less then proud owner of a dead piece of brushed aluminium. Looks lovely though! My original Zen Xtra 60Gb had given me almost three years of superb service. I'd resisted upgrading to 2.10.03 on the grounds that I couldn't face putting 50odd gig of music back onto it, but finally took the plunge last week - with results I'm sure you can guess. Having not seen this thread I bought a new player, another Zen Xtra 60Gb - and decided to upgrade the firmware straight away. Whoops! So now I have two dead 60Gb Zen Xtras. I'm hoping that the new one will be replaced under warranty, and am in fact prepared to pay (a reasonable amount) to have the other repaired.

I’m probably the newest one regarding the bug-invested firmware 2.10.03. I upgraded my 60 gig Zen Xtra, well, tried to, hanged to the end and now it's dead!! Does nothing at all, try to reset it, no joy!! I’ve been reading everybody's posts and I’m wondering, is it worth it to go through all the trouble having it fixed. A friend brought me one from Dubai, I live in South Africa and there is NO Creative support here!! Now I must DHL it back to Dubai and hopefully get it replaced, because it's only 4 months old!! So much on saving a buck or two!! Creative, PLEASE REMOVE the faulty, bug-invested software from your site and fire the hole that wrote the upgrade!!!

I've had it with Creative, worst customer service anywhere, I've had nothing but problems with my zen xtra 30GB locking up and freezing.* Trying to find help and get technical support has been a nightmare.* Creative certainly doesnt stand behind their product.* I like the idea from the guy who mentioned the class action lawsuit....* I've probably used my zen a total of about 20 to 30 hours (seriously) in the last 10 months and have had it freeze up about 6 times, and wiped everything 3 times.* What good is it?* Creative hasn't responded to my questions so it's going in the garbage and everyone I can possibly tell will be buying Ipods from now on!* Sound a little bitter don't I?