Thread: Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra - Driver won't work on Vista

Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra - Driver won't work on Vista

Is there no way to install the driver for the Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra on Windows Vista? Every time I try it says to reconnect the device for the driver to take effect, but it obviously doesn't install since it keeps saying "Found New Hardware" and asks me to install the driver for it (plus, I get errors when trying to install Creative software for it). Anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix?

Re: Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra - Driver won't work on Vista

Okay, I think I've found the problem - it's the firmware edition on the player. Although I updated an older "Plays-for-Sure" firmware, the version is only 1.20.08. Another thread here says the firmware required must be higher than this, at least 2.xx.xx. I remember I specifically didn't download the newest firmware because it would have entailed copying all the files on my player to my hard drive, as the firmware erases everything on the player. Now that I have Vista, not XP, the only options I see are to download the firmware, thus erasing 20 gigs of music I've already paid for once, or do a dual boot of XP on my system. This would make my player recognizable to the system. Then, I'd have the choice of both uploading all my files to my XP Operating System and either upgrading the "Plays-for-Sure" firmware, or just using XP on dual boot when I want to update the tracks on my player.

I have the 40 G Zen Xtra, same deal, no device driver works, so I am unable to connect with my Vista 64 computer. I have about 500 songs stranded on my player now. Creative seems to be having a lot of problems with their Vista drivers, even with their new products, I have a new Soundblaster X-Fi card, and I had to use Beta drivers, at least they seem to work though.

I have a Nomad Zen Xtra (40GB) which I purchased a few years ago and I have been very disappointed with the software and computer interface from the get-go. I seem to have finally managed to get it to run smoothly when I upgraded to Vista when who would a thunk, Creative has opted to not update the driver to make it Vista compatible. I understand that it is not the "latest" technology but it was expensive and holds a lot of music and now I appear to be unable to use it. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with a solution or fix to this.

I have the same problem with my 40GB Zen Xtra player. Has anyone tried updating the firmware that bogstomper mentioned? I'd hate to clear off my player and have it not help. I tried to email Creative to ask if the player is simply not compatible with Vista, but I'm way past the free email support period so they didn't answer my question. I can't really afford to buy a new player, or XP for my laptop (it came with Vista), so I hope there is some solution for this.

I have managed to get my Zen Xtra to work with vista, although I haven't tested things such as syncing using the creative software. What I seem to remember doing was:
    1) Download the older set of XP drivers (Creative Zen and Jukebox Driver Upgrade version 1.30.03)
    2) Install the drivers onto your Vista PC.
    3) Tell the add you hardware process that you want to find the drivers
    4) Say you don't have a disk and that you want to locate the drivers manually on your computer
    5) Point the driver wizard at the folder into which the Zen Xtra drivers were installed to during step 2.
    With any luck, your Zen Xtra should now be installed and you should be able to connect it to your pc and copy files to and from the device using the portable device option located in Computer. As a general note, I believe my Zen Xtra is on firmware version 1.20.08 but I don't know for sure. It is possible that this solution will not work with later versions of the firmware, but I see no reason why this would be the case. For those people who use UAC, this process seems to work just as well under both admin users and standard users, although it will prompt for an admin password a few times if you try doing as a standard user.

I own a Nomad Zen Xtra 40GB and I had the same driver problem with windows Vista. I tried the solution suggested by one of the user but it did not work. However, updating the Firmware to the "Creative Zen Xtra PlaysForSure Firmware 2.10.03" did do the trick. Here is how I proceeded:
    1) I went back to a Windows XP computer (obviously, since the player was not recognized by Windows Vista)
    2) I installed the Windows XP "Creative ZEN and Jukebox Driver 2.01.00" on that computer
    3) I updated the firmware with "Creative Zen Xtra PlaysForSure Firmware 2.10.03"
    4) I came back to my Vista computer and uninstalled every Creative driver and software that I previously installed when trying to make that thing work.
    5) I plugged the Zen Xtra player and it was immediately recognized. No need to install anything else.
    The only downside to this firmware update is that IT WILL ERASE ALL THE MP3 FILES THAT ARE ON YOUR PLAYER! So be aware of that. I personally did not mind since my mp3 files are all backed up on a separate hard drive in my computer. However, I understand that this could be a big problem for some folks. For those of you wondering how PlaysForSure works, it basically allows you to transfer your mp3 files by a simple drag and drop process directly to your player. Every time you plug the player to the computer, it appears as a new "Portable device" in the "Computer" folder. I always hated the original software that came with the Zen Xtra player but I got quite fond of the Nomad Explorer software that allowed direct transfer of mp3 files by a simple drag and drop process. PlaysForSure basically works the same way.

In order to repair the broken firmware, you need to follow the instructions given in the creative knowledge base page labelled "Updating Firmware on a ZEN MP3 Player After Installing Windows Media Player 11 Beta 2" or the sticky post at the top of this forum. Make sure you remove all the components listed and install the download it mentions. This should allow your upgrade to be completed. This upgrade must be done on a Windows XP machine because you can't remove Windows Media Player 11 from Vista. Once the upgrade is complete though, you can install Media Player 11 and the player should work correctly. It's unfortunate that the only way to get the Zen Xtra to fully work with Windows Vista is to upgrade it using a Windows XP computer with media player 10, but this appears to be the only way to get it to work, unless you happened to have upgraded your firmware before upgrading to Vista.

I have managed to get my Nomad Jukebox to work on Vista. This is a Nomad Jukebox not a zen or Jukebox 2. I downloaded from Creative the latest Jukebox driver, Aug 2009; I installed it and then got the Vista error message. The message led me to the Creative website to download the patch file CtDrvIns. I followed the Read me instructions and placed that file in the Creative Jukebox driver folder. Then I installed the additional driver functionality add on that is also listed in the Creative Archived downloads for Jukebox. I then rebooted. I then downloaded the latest Creative Media Source but it wouldn't recognize the player. However Windows would recognize the player but can't do anything with it because it isn't supported in Media Player. LuckilyWinamp Version 5.33 does recognize the Jukebox. So I able to upload and download all my files with Winamp and I don't need to buy a new MP3 player.