Thread: iPad2 Home Button unresponsive

iPad2 Home Button unresponsive

I recently started experiencing a problem with the start button on my iPad 2. Occasionally, the press does nothing. So I need to press it 4 or 5 times before it response. I'm not mashing the button and I'm sure every time you press an appropriate amount of force (with pride an iPhone 3, 3G, 4, IPAD IPAD 1 and 2 now, so I'm unsure about how hard to press the Start button). I tried to power cycle the IPAD 2, but that does not help. I closed all open applications. First, it seemed to work. For several hours, the start button is perfectly sensible. But unfortunately, I'm here tonight, an increasingly frustrated with the start button not responding. Sometimes I cannot even turn my IPAD as the button does not respond for several seconds.

Re: iPad2 Home Button unresponsive

I contacted Apple Support. IPAD two envoys have my back to take a look at it. I would suggest anyone else having this problem to contact Apple and notify them of it too. Please reply to this thread since this seems a topic worth keeping track of others who are also experiencing this problem does not answer the Start button. I'll report back after listening to something from Apple. My biggest fear is that they are unable to reproduce the problem, while they have it. That's the biggest problem with intermittent problems like this. More people to call and report it, the sooner we realize what is causing this problem.

From my IPAD 2 is custom (I opted for the free engraving), I have to send my unit to Apple to take a look at it. Apple has been kind enough to mail me a shipping box with prepaid return. You have to turn up the next day or so. I'll keep this thread posted on their conclusion when I get some details. So far, I have to say that your service is very good (customer). Hope you can solve the difficulty. I am glad that I have still my iPad 1 for use in the meantime.

Same difficulty here. The start button was working occasionally out of the box with 4.3. Tried to upgrade to 4.3.1, reset, restore - all. I think it has only gotten bad after a few nights of use. Apple called in Germany, who offered to send a box of pre-paid for delivery and return the unit repaired or replaced after 5-7 days. Or if you have Apple Care, just send me a new one and I still use the guilty until it arrives. Now I'm thinking of getting the attention of Apple to get the unit replaced without problems and also for the extended warranty, but we'll see.

Unfortunately, I chose the free engraving. I love recording, but Apple said it cannot exchange or take back the iPad2 because of it. So I ship it back to them to try to fix it. Another thing I noticed was that unlike my other Apple devices, the start button in this case is sinking lower than others. The edge of the start button and color is nice, no problems with the glass of my other devices (like the iPhone and iPad of age). About iPad2 particular, the start button is substantially lower, so it feels like the edge of the cup, even when the button was pressed.

I received an e-mail from Apple stating that it cannot reproduce the problem and will send the device back. I even made videos of the problem occurs in the device for them. We are returning the same day as received. I'm pretty frustrated, since it seems it will be an ongoing difficulty for me. I guess when it happens again, I'll end up sending it back.

Sorry to hear that, man. So the videos did not help convince them about the problem? The device was picked up by UPS on Thursday and was handed to Apple on Friday. I guess it checked immediately, as the state of repair was to "problems identified" / "product replacement is pending” during the Friday afternoon. Let's see when they will send the replacement back.