Thread: blank CD-R not detected by Toshiba Satellite M45-S269

blank CD-R not detected by Toshiba Satellite M45-S269

Hi , I am having one Toshiba satellite M45-S269 laptop. I am using windows 7 operating system. Yesterday I encountered a problem with the CD R/RW Drive. The Cd Rom drive is unable to detect a blank disc. I don’t think there should be any issue with the optical lens of the Cd drive because when I insert an audio or video disc it reads very well without any distortion. The only problem is that when I insert a blank disc, a message is displayed “no disc in drive F:”I am unable to write any files to Cd or DVD. Can anyone tell what the problem is.

Re: blank CD-R not detected by Toshiba Satellite M45-S269

You are facing this trouble since yesterday. Have you ever performed the write action to the CD-R before. If yes, then check for the brand name of the CD that you used earlier. Sometimes the problem arises when there is a compatible problem between the drives and the disc brands. Once I also experienced the same problem when I bought a pack of 100 blank CD-R and was surprised that none of them were compatible with the cd drive. The drive also reads file from the brand.

Before you insert any Cd in the CD Rom drive, make sure about the brand of the CD. The drive also reads from the brand of the CD even if it is blank. The CD-R with no brand will not be compatible with some of the disk drives. Use the CD brand name (TDK) and see if the drive detects it automatically. If it is detected then a writeable folders opens. If you go to the properties it will show” Used space: 0 bytes. Free space: 0 bytes. Capacity: 0 bytes”.

If the CD drive of the computer is not detecting the blank disc then eject the CD drive, take out the blank disc and check the surface of the disk. See if there are any scratches or dust over the surface. If the Cd is damaged then the drive will not detect it. To check the malfunctioning of the drive insert any audio or video disc and play it. If the drive reads the disc without any error then the drive is ok else there is a problem with the optical lens. You have to get it replaced.

If the drive is unable to detect the blank CD-R then perform the following actions. Uninstall DVD/CD-ROM Drives and reinstall it. Also try reinstalling the PCI IDE controller and secondary IDE channel. Right click on the drive and select properties for the drive and see if “enable recording on this drive is checked below the recording tabs. Enable this setting and try again, see if the blank disc is detected.