Thread: How to transfer SMS from Nokia N900 to PC

How to transfer SMS from Nokia N900 to PC

Hi I am a newbie and i don't have much technical knowledge. I recently brought a Nokia N900 mobile phone. I have few important messages (SMS) stored in my Inbox that i wish to transfer and save in my PC. Do i need any software or any application transfers my stored SMS from my N900 to my PC? If yes then which one and where can i exactly find it. Or what are the alternative methods to do so? Anyone have any solution for my problem than please help me out. Solutions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to transfer SMS from Nokia N900 to PC

The best solution according to me is to install the Nokia PC suite and sync your mobile to your PC, You must have received the Nokia PC suite CD along with the accessories when you purchased you mobile. If can't find it then you buy it from your retailer or any Nokia Care. If you don't wish to take the pain of going to your retailer or Nokia care you can search and download the setup file of Nokia PC suite on Internet. Or you can download it from Nokia's official website. That will be much better as there won’t be any risk of you downloading any random file or corrupt Nokia PC suite setup. After installing the PC suite of your mobile, restart your computer and start the PC Suite application. You can sync your mobile with your PC easily. Now you will be able to import any data file, contacts, messages etc from your mobile to your PC.

Thanks for the quick post. I tried doing as you said. I installed the Nokia PC suite in my computer and tried to sync my phone to the PC but unfortunately it did not help me. I was easily able to import other data files including calendar, contacts but not the messages. The message Inbox is shown grayed and no action can be performed on it. This thing is really annoying me now. Don’t know but now I am planning to change my mobile and never purchase a Nokia cell in future. Still i am hoping for at least one solution for my problem. Anyone with better solutions, please reply and help me out.

First of all I am not using Nokia N900 mobile, but i have used this software called "GodswMobile SMS Transfer" in my Windows mobile to transfer messages from mobile to my computer. So I am not sure whether it will work for your Nokia mobile phone. But for a try you can give it a shot. You can search for the software on Internet and download the setup file. It will mostly be in zip file. Unzip the file after downloading and copy the "GodswMobileSMSTransferSetup.CAB" installation file in your phone. This software also allows the user to import messages from their computer to mobile. You can transfer the file to your phone either by using a memory card or transferring by using USB cord. After you are done with the transfer, locate the file in your mobile and install it. Open the application and you are ready to import messages from your mobile to PC and vice-versa.

You should take back up of your Nokia N900’s message. You can do it by following these steps:
    • You should make sure that your Nokia N900 has a full battery charge or it is plugged into the charger because if the mobile switches Off when you are taking back up, you may end up losing all data and corrupting your phone.
    • Go to the Backup Application, select “New Backup” and after naming the file click proceed.
    • Check “Communication and Calendar” as it contains your Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes and SMS messages and click on “Select”.
    • You are returned to your main Backup Screen once the Backup is finished.
    • You can copy the backup file which contains data and all other directories from your N900 to your PC

This method worked for me but I am not sure for you. Hope it does the trick for you also.

I have this little complicated method to import messages from your Nokia N900 to your PC. You need to have little bit of knowledge about the Linux. To just dump them to a text file, do the following:
    Start xterm and type the following code
    ~ $ sqlite3 .rtcom-eventlogger/el.db "select * from events where event_type_id in (7,8) order by id;"
    > /home/user/MyDocs/sms.txt

Here (7,8) are for inbound sms and outbound sms respectively. Messages are store in chronological order. The above code will create a text file with the name “sms.txt”.
    You can also get other details by using following types:
    • Type 1 = incoming call
    • Type 2 = outgoing call
    • Type 3 = missed call
    • Type 4 = voicemail message
    • Type 5 = incoming IM (integrated conversations only)
    • Type 6 = outgoing IM (integrated conversations only)
    • Type 7 = incoming SMS
    • Type 8 = outgoing SMS

Once you are done running the file, plug the N900 into your PC in mass storage mode. You will find the file there. Open Office Spreadsheet or Microsoft Excel can be used to import the file.

Thank you everyone. It was very kind of you people to remove some time and reply this post to help me. Everyone of you are really a life saver. i downloaded the "GodswMobile SMS Transfer" software and installed it in my Nokia N900 but it is not working. I guess it works only for the Windows Mobile. The trick of Linux code worked for me. It was very much innovative. I did not tried the back up method but for a chance i will give it a shot.