Thread: USB not working in Toshiba Satellite A505-S6025

USB not working in Toshiba Satellite A505-S6025

I am using Toshiba Satellite A505-S6025 from a while now. But recently I came up with this error message when I connected my 1 TB external hard drive to it. "USB Device Not Recognized, One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it..." is the message displayed. I am unable to understand what must have gone wrong with the USB port. Does anyone know, what could be the reason behind this? Please help me. I really want to use the external hard drive as it has got all my important data.

Re: USB not working in Toshiba Satellite A505-S6025

You must check the following first:
    • Change the USB cable and check if the problem still exists or not.
    • Connect the hard drive to some other USB port and check if it is working or not. It might happen that the USB slot must have got corrupted.
    • Connect another flash disk in that USB port and check if it works well.
    • Check whether your motherboard support big external hard drive of high storage capacity.
    • If all the settings in the bios are ok, then you must probably get your external hard drive checked.

You said that the problem started all of a sudden. So according to me there are high chances that you must have been attacked by some virus or malware recently which must have corrupted the driver files. Scan your system and check if your system is infected by any virus or not. Always remember to keep your antivirus updated. You should probably uninstall the driver of the USB device that you need to plug in and then reinstall it from the drivers CD. Hopefully this will help you out.

Thanks for the quick post but unfortunately nothing helped me. I did complete scan and luckily didn’t find any virus. I cross checked if there was any problem with my USB cord or the external hard drive but found nothing. The Bios is also updated. Even my motherboard supports the high storage capacity hard drive. So I am unable to find any error. The external HDD works fine on my friends laptop but shows this problem on mine. Also I uninstalled the driver of the USB but I am unable to find my drivers CD. From where can I get drivers for USB? Someone please help me. It will be appreciated for sure.

You should probably contact your nearest Toshiba center for Drivers. If you are unable to locate any near to your area then you must visit Toshiba’s official website. Click on the “Download” link.
    • Select the Product type from the given list.
    • Choose the Series of your laptop.
    • Select the Model number from the list.
    • Select the version of OS installed in your system.
    • Choose the driver you wish to install and finally click on the Show Drivers button.

I would suggest you to Disable and re-enable the USB controller. Follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then click Run.
    • Type devmgmt.msc in the text field of run, and then click OK. Device Manager window will open.
    • Scroll down and click on the plus (+) sign to expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click each USB controller under the Universal Serial Bus controllers, and click Uninstall to remove them.
    • You should restart the computer. On restart the windows will automatically search for the hardware changes in your system and it will reinstall all the USB drivers uninstalled.

Once the system install all the drivers you must check whether your USB is working or not.