Thread: Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5066BN: Cooling fan constantly on

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5066BN: Cooling fan constantly on

A couple of months ago I bought a Satellite L655D-S5066BN. They have not had a single problem with it until I updated the BIOS from 1.40 to 1.50. Thereafter, the cooling fan on / near the left side of the machine is turned on for 5-10 minutes after startup and stays on. Sometimes it stays for 45 minutes to an hour before shutting down, and then remains silent for five minutes or less. After that, start again. For PC Health Monitor, this runs at a speed about 90% while the temperature of the CPU maxes out at only 37%. I installed SpeedFan 4.41 to get a specific reading of the CPU temperature is about 108-115F. All this comes at minimal CPU load - my browser is usually the only open program. The laptop does not feel hot at any part of the chassis. Ventilation in the left side is free of dust and lint, and since the problem has arisen that I've been blowing the vents with compressed air. Also, I checked the BIOS at startup and do not seem to be any setting available with respect to the fan speed / CPU temperatures.

Re: Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5066BN: Cooling fan constantly on

I have the same problem with a L655D-S5066 which came yesterday. I called support team and they tell me, the fan is usual with the AMD. This is not much sense to me. I'm in the computer industry for over ten years and have not at all had a laptop, the fan is very loud screams at idle. Any laptop you have to work hard earlier than turning the fan like this. PC Health Monitor tells me the CPU temperature is 31-33% and the fan speed is 90%. The unit will work well for 45-60 minutes. Then, the fan can be reduced to 0% for 5 minutes and then goes to 90% again for another 45-60 minutes. And that is inserted with the device in, sits at a desk perfectly flat and have been inactive (the only program that is running the PC Health Monitor, not even any antivirus installed.) CPU usage is between 1 session % and 8% in this down time. It's so embarrassing that I can use it up anywhere. You cannot even use in the living room, because it interferes with my family. And do not even think about using in a classroom or during a business meeting. It's like a plane about to take off or something.

I suspected that was not the only one who could be dealing with something like this. Like you, I also I have mine on a flat surface and let it completely inactive. However, the fan runs as if trying to extinguish a forest fire in its interior. And call me crazy, but I'm sure you have the fan works all the time more or less offset the savings of juice in the Eco mode seems to have tried all the things the same with the configuration of power, too. We are in a kind of catch-22 because A) if we use SpeedFan to modify the fans, it violates the guarantee, and B) if the covers of pop to make a positive absolute sure that it is not dust, might violate warranty. I do not want to bite the bullet and send the machine to "fix", because, apart from the fan, it works great and is perfect for my needs. But I cannot use it for my needs if I take it around the libraries and offices and threw me out!

Some computer manufacturers will snippets in their BIOS updates to prevent people from downgrading, or at least warn about it. But it is too rare to update something and then discover that you break something else (as in your case). Therefore, it is wise to allow the users to be able to cut at least back to the version they had. That said, if we can get a hold of version 1.40 of the BIOS, then we might be able to solve this problem. I do not want to send my new laptop either. To be honest, I'm pretty set on the whole thing. I mean, is it truly so tough to control a fan? They have been making many years PCs and cannot find a way to run a fan. I paid some money to acquire a luxurious sound machine and then I have to waste my time calling technical support and send the thing back to them on a ventilator.

Attempt to regulate the power scheme in the minimum configuration I wish it works. Keep in mind to update the BIOS in No. boost a few of those mentioned HW component straight to the motherboard such as USB, Wi-Fi etc. Send me feedback if we still have work force other options. Try this:
    1. Click on the Start menu and select "Control Panel." Then select "Performance and Maintenance."
    2. Select "Power Save."
    3. To slow the speed of the fan, locate the slider next to "speed CPU processing" and slide down, moving through to the left. To accelerate the fan, move the slider to the right.
    4. Push the "Apply" and after that "OK" if encouraged.

The fan speed has slowed considerably. Instead of running at full volume by 90%, now tends to be around 55-60%. And much, much quieter, although it tends to appear on the full from time to time. But I have not changed any settings at all at this point. We hope that the fan is not leaving! I should observe that my computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium. I think your idea works on XP machines. If I memorize correctly XP - blemished in Vista / 7 for so long) Still, I found what I think are appropriate adjustments to adjust the Power Options. Thanks for the help - much appreciated.