Thread: Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi Lite, Nintendo DSi XL & Nintendo 3DS FAQ

Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi Lite, Nintendo DSi XL & Nintendo 3DS FAQ

Here is an in detail FAQ of Nintendo DSi & Nintendo DSi XL. This FAQ mostly talk on the usability, power and better storage option. The FAQ also covers vital information on how properly utilizing the device for longer time. If you any further question on the same you can create a post below which will be replied soon. There are still lots on questions pending on the Nintendo DSi & Nintendo DSi XL related to its hardware, its software, games and other things. I had also discussed some unique features of the gaming device which most of users are not aware of. Most of the time you will find the FAQ is applicable to maximum Nintendo DS version due to the similarity in the OS used and hardware but just there are minor changes related to upgrades.

Nintendo DSi & Nintendo DSi XL Features FAQ

Nintendo DSi

Nintendo DSi XL

Here is a summary of the features that are included in the Nintendo DSi. You can just have a look on the current features of the gaming device along with the improvement it got for you. This is applicable to other Nintendo DS version also.
    • The first is that it is a new gaming device with much improved features and support.
    • Talking about the design it comes with a matte finish casing. The new one is very light and small which makes it easier to carry.
    • Right now Nintendo tries to put more storage volume on the device so that users can play a maximum number of games. The new DSi has a higher volume and along with that you get a much better sound quality. This change is easily noticeable in the new upgraded versions.
    • You get a quiet bigger screen right now. And the best thing about the same is the brightness and the angle of viewing. I had noticed there is much better advancement in that. You get a high bright screen and a good looking angle, but that comes with a demerit and i.e. too much power.
    • The current device has hotkeys type functions. That means you get dedicated keys to toggle the volumes while playing and the same also works for the Brightness.
    • Nintendo has added two numbers of 0.3 megapixel camera. The one in at the back and second in the front. Those are VGA camera. Right now I do not find any need for camera here and that too of 0.3 megapixel vga. Just fun for kids.
    • The best part here is the much improved operating system in this. It is actually a much better firmware they are using right now. This allows you reboot to the DSi Menu directory. The same also supports hot swapping of memory cards.
    • You get a wifi security support on the same. It comes with WPA Security support. So there are less chances others to join your game anonymously.
    • SD Card has been more functional now. You can also store your music and photos in that. It is just not for the gaming purpose.
    • The new music player in Nintendo DSi has a support for AAC video format. That means you can record your voice in that and if you have that music you can play the same also.
    • I always enjoy Pictochat in that. This is an awesome support. You can chat with your friends and sketch at the same time. It comes with a Rainbow pen upgrade.
    • For surfing internet and downloading games you are provided with a much improved Opera Web browser. This is a free browser for your console and you get that from DSi tore.
    • As you are aware DSi store lets you to get new games and applications. Some are chargeable and some are free as per the usage.
    • There are two colors provided on the same till yet. Black and White. And in some places a Light Blue is also launched.

Re: Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi Lite, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi XL & Nintendo 3DS FAQ

I need some information on Nintendo DSi. What is it exactly ?

It is actually the third version of Nintendo DS Gaming Device. It is released long time before. Nintendo tries to release a better version after some interval of time to meet the needs of current gamers. Every new version has a much better software and improved hardware with some additional features. Like this one has 2 VGA cameras, a SD slot, music player, internet surfing, etc. These improvements made this device something more than a gaming device. The new DSi is entirely re-designed with a better matte plastic finish.

What is removed in Nintendo DSi ?

Here are some more things that I will like to share. This are the points which are removed from the current device.
    • The first I found that battery life is reduced to an great extent. This can be due to new improved features which eats more power.
    • In DSi the WPA does not respond for DS games.
    • The gameboy advance slot is removed already.

How much CPU is consumed by the new screen ?

The new screen of Nintendo DS is quiet bigger and brighter in comparison to the other version. So that is common that it will consume power. I got some images that will guide you about the power consumption. The battery life of the game depends mostly on the game which you are playing and the screen brightness setting. See the below images. Also remember one thing as your battery power goes around 30% the power indication light turns to RED. That is indication where you must put the device for charging.

For Nintendo DSi

For Nintendo DSi XL

Power Indicator Charge Level Reading

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL CPU/RAM FAQ

Does the new RAM and CPU will give better Gameplay ?

I did not found a major change in that. The new upgraded hardware is for the support of new features. I found the gameplay similar as Nintendo DS. The new hardware is mostly dedicated to web browsers and DSiWare games. I think there are some better games which will be released in the coming time and those will need a better processing power. For that you get new upgraded hardware.

What is that size of Nintendo DSi Screen ?

Right now it has a 3 inch screen on the DS Lite and a 3.25 inch screen on other models. The size of screen lies between this two sizes only. But you can notice the difference if you have the device in your hand. The best part is the viewing angle which is improved and much better. It is quiet recommended for a group type gameplay.

Working of Menu System. How this works ?

There is a major change in the firmware of the device. The menus are nicely designed with added features in them,. Right now the menu is the most prominent part of Nintendo DSi. When you turn the console on the first indication on the screen is the health and safety warning. Then in the menu you can see more sub menus which makes the device usage much more flexible. You can easily move items, replace them and perform other works. An added functionality in this is that you can jump to the menu very easily. This is well designed in DSi.

Does Dead Pixels will affect the new Nintendo DSi Screen ?

LCD Screens are more prone to that and there is one in Nintendo DSi also. It can be possible that in future you might face the same. So before buying just have a look in the screen properly that there is no dead or stuck pixel. It is almost your duty to check before buying. But if the piece is faulty then you can get a replacement for that. If you find any fault just return the same at once.

Re: Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi Lite, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi XL & Nintendo 3DS FAQ

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL REGION LOCK FAQ

Does Nintendo sell Region Locked DSi. Do they are internationally compatible ?

I had found in some reports that Nintendo is sold some models of region locked DSi. That means if you stay in US you can only use the US Store games on the console and if you move to Japan then you cannot play those games. This is really frustrating. But after some depth research I found that this case if not common for all. I had found most of the users can play games anywhere. I do not think that currently these models are region locked. You can blindly buy the device. The Region locked is applicable on some branded games that will be released for Nintendo DSi. Like if Ubisoft is releasing a game on DSi in US then that game will be region locked. This is no such thing provided on the gaming console.

I don't think so that. There is a doubt for an international compatibility. Definitely there is a limit for that. The reason behind is can be region encoding. In some place due to the game companies you cannot get access out of their area. If your DSi belongs to other region in relation to what mentioned you cannot run games on them. This are the Downloadable content on DSi shop, the Nintendo DSi exclusive game cards and Nintendo DS / Nintendo DS Lite game cards. So for such support you might need to get a consult with customer care support team.

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL SD/SDHC FAQ

What can we do no SD Card Slot. How much is the internal Memory of Nintendo DSi ?

This is provided on DSi at the time of launch. You can do a lot more on your device rather playing games. Like you can save music, photos and backup channels on the card. The easiest way is to transfers photos from it. It is just like a removable storage media which lets you to transfer music photos from card to your pc. A nice way to backup your device games and install applications. The new operating system is much flexible right in case of installation and deleting old games, applications, etc. If leaving the SD card you get a 256mb internal memory on it. This is the built in memory for the gaming device. This is usually very less than Wii but as it is a portable device, it is acceptable.

The last size of SDHC card that will work on DSi is around 8GB. But till yet this is not tested.

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL BATTERY FAQ

What is the battery life of Nintendo DSi ?

The bad news here is that the added big screen and the new level of screen brightness will eat up more ram and power. So that is not fare at all. I was hoping to get better battery capacity for long hours of play especially when you are traveling. This is applicable for both the versions. But you can save your battery more by reducing the brightness of the gaming console. You can adjust your eyesight for low screen brightness. The lower the brightness the move battery life you get.

For how much Time should I charge the battery & Can I play games while charging ?

For the starting you must leave the device for around 2 to 3 hours to get fully charged. When the device is completely charge you can see yourself that the red light just turns off. And only after that I will recommend you to start playing on the device. Do not start using it before the RED light goes completely off.

Does there is a need for a battery replacement in future ?

I don't think so. The new battery has a longer life and it can stay alive for many years. It is found that it has lifecycle of 500 charges. So as the time passes the charge capacity keeps on reducing. That is natural that after some years you might need to get a new battery for better performance.

What is the way to get a battery replacement ?

First before replacing you can try out some troubleshooting tips like removing out the battery and keeping it away till it is completely drained or updating firmware. If nothing happens then you can get a new one. There are additional battery packs that you can buy from Nintendo online store or even calling the customer care.

What is the type of battery used in Nintendo DSi and how to dispose it ?

Nintendo DSi and other similar model use Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. It is strictly advised you must not try to repair the battery on your own. It is risky. Second do not burn the battery.

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL WIFI & ONLINE GAMING FAQ

How to use Nintendo DSi WPA System ?

WPA system is a secure system to access a wifi network. Because of this it has become possible to connect the device to a WPA and WPA2 wifi network. But if you have a DS game in your device then this service will not work. There is no support provided for that. The current DS games are the only games that will support the WEP connection. This is a kind of pain. The WPA is provided to get a secure connection go DSi store, for surfing and for getting DSiWare Title. The only thing that matters here is the compatibility of the games with the console.

How to Surf Internet on Nintendo DSi ?

You can go online on Nintendo DSi via your home internet connection, any public hotspot, etc. Mostly the games come pre-installed on the device and you can also get new one from the store. You can also block access to DSi by configuring the parental control settings.

What type of games can be played on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL ?
    There a large variety of games that you can play on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL. This are the downloadable games, free games, and those games which you will buy from the store. There are certain exclusive games which are designed for DSi which comes with better feature and gameplay.
    Does GBA games can be played on DSi ?

The Game Boy Advance slot is out from Nintendo DSi. You cannot play them on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL. And right now Nintendo is also not planning to release any Game Boy Advance games for Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL.

Can I use Wii Points on DSi Shop ?

It is possible to use Wii point’s card on Nintendo DSi shop to buy points. Then you can use them to get free games. And one thing I want to highlight that this points are not transferable from one shop to another.

What is DSiWare ?

DSiWare is somewhat similar like WiiWare. It provides you must lighter downloads for the Nintendo DSi and also support from other third party developers. That means you get a place where you can directly gets apps and games for DSi. The games and apps provided in this are very simple and min games. You can also get free games by collecting points on the device.

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL MUSIC SUPPORT FAQ

How to play music on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL ?

It is simple to do that. All you need is to get a copy of compatible audio in the SD card slot. You can do that from your pc. All you need to take care is that the sound must be compatible with AAC audio. The file name extensions that are support here are m4a, .mp4, or .3gp. Till yet nothing is tested.

Does the Music Player of Nintendo DSi can play Mp3 audio ?

No it cannot play Mp3 files. Nintendo DSi has a support for AAC music audio. Other than this will not be supported on the Music Player. The device is simply not designed to replace your iPod or audio player. It is just kept to play game tunes. There is no further support provided on that.

NINTENDO DSI & NINTENDO DSI XL PACKAGE CONTENT FAQ

What is in the Box of Nintendo DSi ?

First when you open the box it comes half charged. So that you can check the features and have a hand on the same. Then you need to connect it to get fully charged.

It comes with the following things :
    • Nintendo DSi Gaming Device
    • Stylus
    • AC Adapter
    • Battery
    • Manual