Thread: Is it wrong to provide your IMEI number

Is it wrong to provide your IMEI number

Depending on how you are giving your IMEI to number, is bad. Your IMEI number is your identification number of the phones. It is specific to the phone. It sounds like your phone social security number. In the wrong hands, someone can steal your identity phones, leaving him with a huge phone bill payment. Imagine a situation: You send your IMEI number on a website looking for an unlock code. Several months pass and you receive a phone bill for $ 3,000 and the call details you've never done. Someone has cloned the phone and has been using its own, without knowing it, in your case. Phone cloning is illegal, but that does not mean you cannot do. What’s your opinion about this?

Re: Is it wrong to provide your IMEI number

Yes, someone (probably someone who knows and has something against you) the reports of lost or stolen phone by posing as the display of the phone, and then being unable to use the phone to call your provider and explain. What if somebody is selling a stolen known phone on eBay and provide the purchaser the IMEI, which obviously is not stolen. The seller of the stolen phone that just made a sale with your help. Now, do not puzzle this with providing your IMEI a rightful unlocking service. You should interpret the privacy policy of the service by what they do with IMEI or ESN of the information. Legitimate services do not amass or utilize this information for whatever thing. So mind what you do with all the information on the Internet. There is all the time somebody out there who could use against him.

Here I also want to say something about this, and wish this information is useful for you. I cannot stress this enough, for posting this. And if this is an unlocking service in good standing, be sure to provide your information through private message, not by posting here or in any forum. One more step we are taking is the prohibition of the items advertised for posing IMEI number to unlock phones.

All personal information may be used against the person. We all cherish our privacy (well, most of us, I guess), but it is important to emphasize that we are responsible for it. It's like complaining about privacy in social networking sites, but never takes the photos and information we share. Depends on the amount of information that takes to the streets. So it is with IMEI. Of course, someone could steal valuable information no matter how much we precaution.

I worked as a customer service representative, and I would find very interesting to have IMEI. I do not want to run with the statement that it is dangerous to expose IMEI, but people can take, for example, you can send the codes. If this information is left with a supplier, which is fine, but I would not give someone like that. Some people, though they are not aware of it and then ease your IMEI in public forums or chat rooms where everyone can see it.

I have a Sierra Wireless 3G / 4G Sprint thing. The device is only 2 months old. I can fly outside the U.S. mainly and would not work so they were nice enough to let me out of the contract and I have to keep the device from which paid for it. I can clarify how to Sell on EBay? I made sure it doesn't connect to the Internet, but when you click the profile you see the phone number of the device used originally. Although the closed accounts do I have to do anything to clear the thing before selling it?