Thread: Corrupted memory card displaying only shortcuts to the file

Corrupted memory card displaying only shortcuts to the file

Guys please help me out some problem with my memory card of mobile phone. Whenever I connect my mobile phone to computer system as mass storage device I am not able to view any genuine file most of the files are corrupted and it only displays all my file names as shortcuts. It only shows the corrupted files from my mobile phone. Please tell what I have to do? I have to format my memory card or there is any alternative to formatting the memory card?

Re: Corrupted memory card displaying only shortcuts to the file

As you said that you are seeking for alternative of formatting the memory card, so first you have to check that if those original files are in hidden mode, by selecting option “show hidden files and folders”. If it will show the original files and folders as hidden then you can retrieve them from mass storage device to PC and then you can format your memory card. It will remove all the viruses from the memory card and you can use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to scan the memory card, hope this will work for you.

In my point of view above method is bit time consuming as well as it doesn’t give surety that all the viruses will be removed because there will be viruses in some files and folders and they will get installed again whenever we will open or execute those files and folders, follow these steps to completely get rid of viruses -
    1-Download the AutorunExterminator.

2-Double click on AutorunExterminator and now connect your mobile to the PC. This will help us to remove autorun.inf files from memory card and also from drives.

3- Click on “Start” then on “Run” and type cmd then click on OK.

Suppose your memory card letter drive as F:
    Type this command attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.*
    Now press “Enter” in command prompt.

4-Now download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. And Update it and then perform “Full scan”.

I used both the methods to remove viruses from my Nokia 6270.I used first method twice because it looks less complicated but it worked only for few days and I was again left with shortcuts of the files. So I followed the steps of second method but even this method was not giving 100% results until a change the settings from “Quick scan” to “Full scan” because in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware by default setting its “Quick scan” so he have to just change it to the “Full scan”. Now my memory card is functioning very well, Thank you for the solution.

I would support first solution because for that you can perform actions without downloading any external software even without Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. This is known as work of "W32/VBWorm.BEUA". Memory cards only displays shortcut to the files is due to The annoying 1kb shortcut virus! It affects external storage devices. This virus is just for prank purposes so don’t worry your files are just hidden not corrupted. You can get those files easily by following these steps-

1-Open the particular infected drive.
    2-In tool open folder option, and then click on “show hidden files and folders”.
    3-Uncheck "Hide extension for known file type" and "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)". If any warning click on yes.
    4-Now you can view your original files and folders, just simply cut-paste those files into new folder. And delete all old folders so that annoying 1kb shortcut virus will be removed.

You have to just repeat these few steps if you face same problem again without downloading any external software.