Thread: How to format write protected micro SD card

How to format write protected micro SD card

Hi I am having this problem related to formatting my micro sd card. I tried all possible way but was unlucky to open my card in computer or my phone. When connected to computer my 2GB memory card shows that it is of 1.3 TB. What would be the reason behind this big trouble? Every time I try to format the micro sd card, “Write- protected” message is displayed. I am totally tired of finding some solution. So anyone out there have any suggestions, please help me.

Re: How to format write protected micro SD card

It is highly possible that your micro sd card have got corrupted by some virus. I would suggest you to do the basic test first. Scan your sd card in your cell by using some mobile version of antivirus or connect the micro sd card to the computer and scan it over there. Antivirus will detect the virus (if any) and delete it. And you said it is showing the “Write protected” message when you trying to format in your computer. I would suggest you to try formatting your sd card in your phone itself. It might help.

I also faced this problem sometimes back and was unsuccessful in most of the tries. Then one of my friends suggested me to use me this software tools called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. It helped me out when I was facing this same problem of “Write protection”. You can give it a try. Who knows it may do the trick for you. Search for it in Internet. Download and install it in your system. After installation just start the application and connect your sd card to your computer. The tool will automatically detect the card. Select format and your work will be done. You can also try using mmcmedic, SDformater tools.

Thanks for your posts but unfortunately nothing seems to be working at this point. I tried scanning my micro sd card for virus but no virus detected. I even tried using the tool you said above, that “HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool”, but it also din helped. Now I am feeling like just getting a new sd card instead of trying so much and getting just failures in the end. Still if anyone have anything better to get rid of this problem other than buying a new sd card, then please help me.

I don’t know how come no one suggested you to check if your micro sd card consist of any write protect switch or not. Normally all the SD memory card is provided with this write protect switch. It helps in reducing the risk of data loss from memory disk. However, this switch is also responsible from preventing the user from writing data on the memory card. You should turn off the write protect lock, to enable writing on the SD memory card. This can be done by pressing the small switch on the side of the card in the backward direction.

Nothings wqorking can anyone help me out too
    its a micro sd card it does not have a write protection switch

Quote Originally Posted by hassan420 View Post
    Nothings wqorking can anyone help me out too
    its a micro sd card it does not have a write protection switch
    I think that there might be a Lock switch on the left side of the SD card. Make sure the Lock switch is slid up (unlock position). You will not be able to modify or delete the contents on the memory card if it is locked. If you are using a microSD/microSDHC card or a miniSD/miniSDHC card, insert the card into the standard SD adapter.