Thread: How to make hidden data visible in pendrive

How to make hidden data visible in pendrive

Hi, I recently brought a pendrive. It worked fine for few days but today it has started with some sort of problem. I have transferred an important data to my pen drive from my friend’s laptop. But when I connected the pendrive to my PC and tried viewing it, it showed that the pen drive is full empty. All the files and folders are missing or invisible. But when I checked the properties of the pendrive it showed that the space is being utilized by those files. What could be the problem? How can I get those files back?

re: How to make hidden data visible in pendrive

I would suggest you to first check whether the files and folders are in hidden mode or not. It might be possible that the files are hidden. You can see your hidden files by navigating to the following path. Start My Computer >> Pendrive. Now click on the tools tab in the menu bar (File, Edit). Clicking on the Tools tab will lead you to a drop-down list. Select folder options. A new window will pop-out. Select the view tab. In the Advanced settings column, you will find “Files and Folders”. Inside it you will get “Hidden files and folders”. Select the “Show Hidden Files and folders” radio button and apply. Click on Ok and refresh. You will be able to see all your hidden files and folders.

There is a strong possibility that the data that you saved in your pendrive must have got corrupted and that’s why you are unable to view them. I would highly recommend you to scan your pendrive and even your system. Use some good updated anti-virus or anti-malware for scanning. You can also try this thing which worked for me in past. Go to My Computer and type your directory and folder name (if you remember the pattern) in the address bar. It will show the files if they exist. Then u can copy them and format your pendrive. But if the files in your pendrive are corrupted, it can corrupt your system files and other data also.

I would suggest you to download “Autorun Exterminator” or any other related application that will help you to remove the autorun.inf files from your pendrive. As you are unable to view anything inside your pendrive, I would suggest you to do this small test to check if your pendrive really have those files and folder or not. Click on Start, select run, type cmd in the text field and press enter. Now type this command attrib -h -r -s /s /d H:\*.* (assuming that H is your pendrive). By doing this you will be able to know what files and folders you have stored in your pendrive. If you can see that your files are there in the pendrive, finally download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and perform Full Scan. Hopefully now you will be able to see your files and folders.

Re: How to make hidden data visible in pendrive

Guys thanks a lot for your suggestions. I checked it whether my files and folders where hidden or not. They were not hidden but still they were not visible in the pendrive. Might be some kind of virus or that autorun.inf must have infected them. The above solution (by Huron) was the one which did the trick for me and helped me to recover all my data without much trouble. You were really a life-saver for me. Thanks again for replies.