Thread: Android OS 2.2 phones that work on 3G Vodafone + personal hotspot feature

Android OS 2.2 phones that work on 3G Vodafone + personal hotspot feature

So this is a two part Question.

Background:
    I'm looking at acquiring an Android phone that works on 3g in Mumbai and Thane. This phone, at a minimum, must be at OS v2.2 because I need to use the personal hotspot functionality built into this OS to share my 3g connection with my ipad 2.

My cousin is coming down from US in April and unfortunately, he has been tasked with sourcing these two products

so, my question becomes.

1) What Android phone options does he have so he can make sure the phone will have the necessary bands and frequencies to operate on Vodafone's 3G service?
    Does vodafone use 1900 (send) and 2100 (listen) bands or 1700 and 2100?
    What specs does he need to look at to make it absolutely sure that the phone will work with 3G vodafone?

2) Is anyone currently using an android 2.2 phone on 3g and using the personal hotspot wifi feature to share that connection with a laptop or an ipad? if yes, can you share some light on how this is working out for you?

I would be using option #2 occasionally, when I need internet access on my ipad to dload some emails or work files.

Any help/suggestions/comments would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by gordita2011; 30-03-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: changed title

Re: Android OS 2.2 phones that work on 3G Vodafone + personal hotspot feature

One of my friend was using Micromax A60 android mobile phone with reliance sim and he used to get pretty good speed @ 400kbps to 600kbps by using the reliance 3g features. He also used to surf internet on his laptop by using the mobile phone and its 3g connection with quite decent speeds. About vodafone, it has just released in our areas (mumbai), so I am unsure of the speed, but will test it definately and check what speed it is giving. Although most users said Vodafone 3g is far more better than the reliance 3g.