Thread: I am not able to install the open source driver in MSI Cx620 ATI 5470 notebook

I am not able to install the open source driver in MSI Cx620 ATI 5470 notebook

Hello friends, I have an MSI Cx620 ATI 5470 notebook and I want the ATI catalyst driver to be installed in this notebook, the operating system that I will be using is any of the Linux, I have tried many thing and also tried finding help from many of the people and also from many forum that are present, but they were unable to give any of the solution for me, as my friend told about this forum and all the help he got from them, so please help me in this thing.

Re: I am not able to install the open source driver in MSI Cx620 ATI 5470 notebook

Hello there, I just went through the problem that you are facing and the way to do that is quite simple, in this thing you should load the radeon drivers and make a Xorg.conf , this will help you to load the driver in the drivers during the startup of the laptop, also you can download the official ATI drivers from the official site, in that they will help you to install the driver in the notebook, also some of the driver is notebook dependent and it may vary from one notebook to another, so just go for the driver which is specifically for the notebook only.

Re: I am not able to install the open source driver in MSI Cx620 ATI 5470 notebook

Hello there, recently I had got an HP laptop, it had the feature of the switchable graphics, at one particular time it uses the integrated radeon 4250 which is default and some time it would Radeon HD 4570, this thing was happening in the windows only. But under Linux I get the problem of forcing the 5470 in the bios also I have seen that the HDMI port is only working with the 5470 which is confirmed with the windows but it is not happening with the Linux, Hp will not help me in the switching the graphic in the bios so is there is any of the software that will help me in this thing.

Hello there, I just want you to add some of the points here, the thing is that you can go with linux driver that they make it on their own so there is no problem in that, but if you are going with the ubuntu then it may be some of the driver that will be present which will be compatible and some which will not. For the VIA motherboard there are present two of the option either by the VIA driver or you can go with the Realtec AC97 drivers, in this case both of them work for the same. The case is very much similar for the Intel also.

Hey guys, I am also having this kind of the problem for the same kind of the notebook that I am using but installing of the Linux is still far from the success, I tried ubuntu to be install in the notebook but I am not able to do that, so was thinking of going to the windows as they provide the drivers which are standard and it is not the free source, because of which these kind of the problem will not be present , this thing is really creating a lot of the problem for me, whenever I tried installing any of the driver in the ubuntu, it just create the black screen effects and do nothing about it. The operating system that I am thinking of is windows 7.