Thread: Nokia N900 battery drain due to WiFi

Nokia N900 battery drain due to WiFi

After using my Nokia N900 for around 2 weeks in this I come to know one big issue. And related to that I just want to confirm that my N900 has a big issue in its WiFi connection. In this Wifi module/service hangs and will not discover any Wifi spot until it reboot. And it is always hangs in the WiFi on condition. And this is causing the battery to drain VERY quickly. Actually it take around 4.5 hours with the full battery. And in this I am unable to get any solution through which I get fix for my problem. And it is seems to happen randomly. When I get battery drain too fast, I make sure wifi connection and see it does not pick up my wifi router. And in this if I reboot hen only all the things come to normal. So related to thsis if you guys have any suggestion so please help me. And please try to do this as soon as it is possible for you guys.

Re: Nokia N900 battery drain due to WiFi

You could make use of the linux command "ps aux" with no quotes in xterm to illustrate all the tasks that are at present running. The only thing I see there is
    Code:
     /usr/sbin/wlancond
    Which I suppose is some sort of daemon which is excuting to monitor the WLAN. I have to look more later to see if you are able to make use of the ipconfig command to obtain a look at what the network is doing.

Regarding this I just want to say that I do not have very much idea about the linux. I'm having some trouble making any good make use of about the information which I get from many of the websites. And in that I got information which seems useful for me and it says that “Many services can be started/stopped as in regular Linux through this script /etc/init.d. For example, /etc/init.d/wlancond stop will stop wlancond" in this WLAn is also included. So that is why I tried to type the usr/sbin/wlancond stop and wlancond start but in this I am not able to get any solution. So now tell me what to do in order to get rid from this kind of issue.

In your last reply, you really typed in the command you desired to issue. Yes, the wlancond is stock up in the /sbin folder. But the script you desire to esecute is the one in /etc/init.d - So at the prompt if you type
    Code:
    $ /etc/init.d/wlancond start/stop
    This will run the script when you give permissions to do so. I'm not 100% confident what wlancond is doing precisely, but it did happen to me that you are also able to make use of the ifconfig command to monitor your network devices.

In the Nokia N900 has one watchdog. It is something which is at a fix time check that the device is working properly or not. I have not check this properly I mean that I have not check this properly. But regarding this I suspect that if you kill or restart this daemon, the watchdog may believe this is a fault so it reboots the device. And if you look in /proc/bootreason it will tell you the reason that why the device rebooted. So just check this I am sure that you will get the reason for this.

It is just an application or widget that you are executing and that is not configured to switch - or will not switch correctly to "any connection" mode. Evaluate your WiFi enabled applications. And after evaluating it you just set small packet/ infrequent update applications to GPRS ( like weather application) -if you have a unlimited data plan. Watch your refresh on applications like Facebook and regarding this I just want to tell you that yes they can run away and drain the battery. Also change your search interval to not at all since you will have your WiFi spots configured. So this is what I know about it and I am sure that this solution will going to help you in your case.