Thread: Sonos ZonePlayer S5 for my iPad

Sonos ZonePlayer S5 for my iPad

I am having an Apple iPad and I just love this device. I want to buy new sound system for this beautiful touch device so that I can enjoy the music from it more joyfully. Obviously I am looking for a wireless so that I don't have to stick my iPad with it. I have recently saw the picture of newly launched portable sound system named as Sonos ZonePlayer S5. Can somebody tell me more about this system?

Re: Sonos ZonePlayer S5 for my iPad

At a time when many brands Hifi venture into the market for digital sources and begin to propose solutions for streaming digital music oriented Hifi Sonos includes the Dutch brand for quite some time, multi-room solution tempting and a priori well thought out. Latest addition to their lineup, the ZonePlayer S5 is an enclosure which allows all integrated to provide a listening system booster, as the Squeezebox Boom from Logitech, its main competitor.

Sonos offers in its range of products to many for everyone to build a system for listening to digital music. The principle is simple: The music is stored in digital format (FLAC's Lossless for instance, or MP3 format most commonly used) on a computer or NAS. Each room is equipped ZonePlayers to recover the data stream. Depending on need, there are several ZonePlayers:

• The ZonePlayer 90 (ZP90) can be connected to an amplifier sitting room (or a DAC) and is therefore the best candidate to fit the main Hifi system. This is the basic version of ZP, whose role is solely to recover the stream and convert it to analog enventuellement.
    • The ZonePlayer 120 (ZP120) is a ZP90 equipped with an integrated amplifier; So just add it to your speakers to enjoy a little extra cost.
    • Finally, the S5 features five amplifiers ZP and HP, and is itself a small integrated system.

All these devices are controlled by a single remote control or an iPhone or a Touch on which the application is installed Sonos. Different ZP need to be connected in a network to function. They display all Ethernet jacks but can also use the Sonos wireless, not Wi-Fi classic. In this case it will connect a ZoneBridge, the Sonos wireless router on the home network. This use of a proprietary wireless technology is regrettable given that competitors use the WiFi standard, but Sonos is justified by the fact that their transfer protocol is more efficient.

The equipment manufacturer Hi-Fi high-end Sonos comes a little more work on the flowerbeds of the pioneers of the genre in revealing the Sonos ZonePlayer S5, "a system of wireless music all-in-one controlled by the iPhone" . The enclosure features a recent appearance near the Bose SoundDock but the iPhone, iPod Touch or the controller home this time are remote and not sound source.

Like the Bose SoundLink , the device can play music stored on its local network, but this time it contains everything needed to access independently to a computer, a server, network storage (NAS) or yet internet wirelessly. The Sonos system can access libraries iTunes shared network shares or the famous music service Deezer demand, and distribute the music of his choice on one or more chambers of the same household. On the acoustic level, the Sonos ZonePlayer S5 is equipped with two tweeters, two midrange and a subwoofer individually powered by a digital amplifier whose power has not been specified.

Sonos offers a simplified installation of its system to make it the most rapidly implemented, it is virtually "plug and play". You plug the speaker on his box (modem / router) via ethernet cable and since the application Sonos iPad (in our case), we run the setup. IPad must be connected to the same wireless network that the enclosure is a prerequisite. The application will attempt to detect an element Sonos and from that moment on, you must press the "mute" and "Volume +" for the pair together. Simple and effective, no need to be ubergeek configuration. If you want to install the S5 ZonePlayer in a different place where is the box, use the ZoneBridge, sold as an option. Once connected to the box, the ZoneBridge SonosNet will create the network that will allow you to connect several products and expand the network. Once past the technical side, we can start the Sonos experience.

The application iPad Sonos can be used in portrait or landscape, but it is strongly recommended for use in the latter case that offers greater usability. It is not visible by default, you must press the little arrow at the top right (next to the button menu music) to make it appear, before understanding what is the way I searched a bit to find out where the scroll bar of a song. An update of the application may fix this little "concern" especially since it does not detract from the readability of the bottom of the screen. On this part, we have three columns: the left, the "menu zone" that corresponds to ZonePlayers installed on your system, center the title is being played and the list of those waiting, and right Access to the library (iTunes for example, or that of a NAS), Internet stations and Spotify. Two principles for selecting pieces are offered: either a long press on the title and there is a shortcut menu that appears, either we did a drag and drop towards the center column (see in the video demo). A small regret in terms of interaction, it is impossible to add a title to our Spotify playlists.

This speaker system with 5 speakers aims to diffuse away to music from your computer. It also offers the ability to play music files shared on your Internet box or a Nas. The management of Web services like Deezer, Last.fm, Napster, Spotify and many Internet radio is integrated. With a wireless controller that completes its dual Ethernet connections, the Sonos Zone Player 5 can be placed anywhere in your home. If the latter is equipped with walls too thick or that the neighborhood is noisy digital (interference), you can add to the Zone Player S5's optional relay: The Zone Bridge BR100 . To control the Sonos Zone S5, you must either equip yourself Controller RC-200 or, to use an iPhone, an iPhone or touch an iPad. Sonos has indeed developed a dedicated application appliances and free the Apple brand. The network connectivity is complemented by a mini-jack input for connecting a portable media player, for example. Finally, thanks to technology network owner SonosNet several S5 Zone Player (or other models in the range) can be chained to sound to multiple rooms. Musically, the Sonos Zone Player S5 is quite surprising. Listening is balanced and lively, with amazing quality. The manufacturer has also not spared, with no less than 5 integrated speakers - and as many digital amplifiers! - One installed in a serious charge given in bass reflex. This is a true 3-way system, able to deliver your music with a nice size and a nice level of bass.

If leaving the entire Sonos control with a "controller" is dedicated (the Sonos Controller CR 200), the Dutch company has developed solutions converge either on iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC. In almost 100% of cases, you can take control of your music. Sonos goes even further and something that really appealed to me: if I use the iPhone application and I put in the queue several pieces I found in the Mac without any manipulation. And I can even finish a third support (iPad for example), and all changes made on the Mac can be found automatically on the iPad. A continuity of experience Sonos a simple example, great!