Thread: The GPU temperature cannot be detected in my notebook MSI gx660

The GPU temperature cannot be detected in my notebook MSI gx660

Hello friends, I had recently purchased a notebook having Ubuntu 10.10 64bit. And the day I had purchased it, is providing me with some error in it. Firstly I have noticed that I am not able to check my GPU temperature. There is certain software present in the notebook that help me in checking the temperature of the cpu but it doesn’t help me in checking the temperature of the GPU,also I installed im-sensor in it but it is not providing me with any of the result for the same. And the second one is regarding the audio drivers, the thing is only the right hand side speaker is been working throughout. Whenever I try changing the setting of it, this always provide the sound from the right hand side speaker only. I tried many things and also checked the sites related to this issue but it was of no help from it. So I thought you people will help me in solving the issue that I am facing right now.

Re: The GPU temperature cannot be detected in my notebook MSI gx660

Hello there, as usual there must be some problem in the driver that you have installed in the notebook, check the driver in such a way that it will contain only the higher version and the updated ones only, this will help you in coping up with your problem. You can also use the higher version of the operating system like ubuntu 10.10 as this has the higher version of the driver present when compared to the older ones. Might be the older ones is having some bug which was removed in the higher version and you are not aware of it. So just try that and see.

Hey thanks for your advice I tried something else as you gave the reply a bit late, I tried installing the fedora 14 32 but version in the notebook, but it didn’t help me so I thought of changing the operating system in such a way that it would get rid of the problem that I am facing now, thank you for your advice since you were late in giving the information, I will try this thing as per your specifications and check if that works in it. Also ubuntu doesn’t use Alsa as the main audio system but instead it uses pulse as the main audio system.

Had you heard about the concept of pulse in Linux, if not then I will give you a short description of it. The pulse manages the software side of the audio server and the component of the kernel which is handled by the server. Most of the external usb audio card is been working fine on my notebook because of the alsa driver that is present in the Linux. As I was trying to find the solution of this on the internet I came across many people who had the same problem and they came out by editing the alsa.conf in the Linux. The thing they had done is they edited the line in the bottom of the line stating the model of the computer, but I am not sure where to add the line as it is very complex to do any changes as they will make the problem more badly.

Hello friend, I was also facing a similar kind of the problem in the ubuntu, as you all are still struggling, I thought that I will lead you to the solution that I used, I had a MSI GX660R and had a load of ubuntu 10.10 present in it. The solution which is provided above is somewhat incomplete, they said to edit the alsa-base.conf in the Linux and after this line I entered the following thing options snd_hda_intel model=targa-8ch-dig after I adding this line I saved the work and restarted the laptop, and guess what it started working fine, the line that you have added is the referenced by ALC888 chipset and it is the closest match to the configuration that I have found. Try this out this will work for you.