Thread: Optimistic s271 (ms-1058b) (new bios arrived)

Optimistic s271 (ms-1058b) (new bios arrived)

I have got a new msi-S271 (ms-1058b) barebone and filled with an AMD Turion X2 TL-56, 2 GB Corsair DDR2-667 RAM modules and hard disk-80GB Hitachi 7K100. The installation went very well and the documentation was great. The problems began when I tried to use my new laptop with a piece of software. I usually start by creating a partition of 64 MB for the grub. knoppx thought it would be perfect for the job. But there was no way knoppix (v5.0.1, v4.0.2) boot to a certain point where you can start with partitioning. So I tried Gentoo 2006.0 AMD64 boot-cd, finally it was meant to be my main os. Well, the only way to begin gentoo passed the "acpi = off 'parameter to the kernel. Too bad, no acpi amd64 system, but it was only to make a single partition of 64 MB, so what. I have created the boot loader i-continued partition with Windows XP x64. Installation boot cd was good, too original. So I had my windows up and continued with all the drivers little is needed. Suddenly the system was unresponsive. Just frozen. About 20 new installations later (actually I used ntfsclone once the system is clean installation) I noticed that windows freezes randomly. Not good. So I continued with Linux, since a gentoo installation of hardware very demanding test. I am writing this message today on my laptop Linux small Linux never crashed, not once. But no acpi-support, which means no information about battery status, no state of suspension, no powernow, no power management at all! The system becomes very hot, since both CPU cores are running at full speed all the time, curiously does not become warmer to compile. kde compilation was the whole damn smooth and fast too! Powerful little book. Was also 24 hours of memtest86 + without a single flaw! But the windows kept freezing at random. Well, my conclusion is that the acpi-part of the BIOS is buggy. Linux will not boot with acpi enabled, but works fine without it. The same goes for OpenBSD (amd64). Windows starts up the acpi and crashes at some point. There is no ruling that when this happens. Once he worked 3 hours in a room with windows, next left after 5 minutes in the boot for the first time in the morning. But against all the odds of that book and I still search the same way to achieve full of life! S271 all users out there:
    • What os-versions are you running?

• What bios-versions do you use?

• What’s your experience?

Re: Optimistic s271 (ms-1058b) (new bios arrived)

I also have a same laptop and have almost the same problems.
    msi-s271 (ms-1058b) bios 1.12, 1.15
    AMD turion x2 tl-56 (1,8ghz)
    2x1gb ddr2-667 corsair ram
    80gb Hitachi 7k100 Harddisk

Linux: Many different versions each of 2.6.14, 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 kernels, x86_64:
    no acpi support
    it has a great performance but it does not include acpi
    openbsd 3.9 amd64:
    Good in 3.9 release, supports wlan out-of-the-box
    Best in 3.9 current, It is compatible with both lan and wlan
    enabling acpi in the kernel leads to an immediate crash at boot
    Windows: windows Xp professional x64 edition:
    Hangs any time.

I once had a laptop of MSI only MODEL: MSI CR-400X-043IN, PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE 2 DUO T6500 @2.1GHZ (Penryn 45nm), RAM: 2GB DDR2 800MHZ, VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8200M – 512MB [256MB VRAM + 256MB (SYSTEM SHARED)], HARD DRIVE: WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB, SCREEN: 14 INCH LED BACKLIT DISPLAY (1366x768--WIDESCREEN 16:9 ASPECT RATIO), BATTERY: 6 CELL LITHIUM ION. AC ADAPTER-65 Watts, 19 Volts. Never had a problem with that then I thought of getting a new laptop of same company and now I got MSI-S271. And I am experiencing the same exact problems, ACPI support is off and that's the only way to get it to boot, it seems. Have you had any luck on this?

First Re-install the operating system and driver try. Then install Windows XP 64 bit on your system, you can download the driver for 64 bits of the website:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...ID=622&kind=11

After the first step, second step to do: I guess MSI-S271 which you have does not supports your memory2x1gb ddr2-667 corsair RAM. You need to change the RAM of some different company DDR2 memory to try. For e.g. you can go with transcend, twinmos, or apacer to try.

Not so different, it uses a little more recent chipset, 485 versus 482. That should not make much difference. I do not think that has much to do with an operating system anyway. As you describe the problems in Linux and Windows64. However, Windows64 is far from great. Can you put XP32bit on it to see if it is stable or not? If the problem is that we are also sure to start the exchange of hardware. Why should I say this? Simple, I have a platform K9A (desktop), but RD-580 chipset, and DDRII AM2 also. XP32 works great on it, but Vista64 (I have not tested on Win64, but it must be the same) crashes all the time too. When Vista64 ran great on an nForce chipset. I do not trust ATI 64-bit drivers too. So please let me know what XP32bit done with all the drivers installed.

I do not think the problem is hardware or operating system related. I run XP x64 for over a year on my dual Opteron work and only had some problems (e.g. print, as there were no drivers). An ATI driver has nothing to do with it, because it locks even without them. I will give the opportunity to win32, but it will take some time, I have already lost too much time on this notebook and am quiet for now (although this post is written in it that are running Linux with the fan running high). Another thing: someone has reached a point where the fan stops completely? Even under the windows with the power now at 49 ° C, the fan runs. Under the bios 1.12, the fan runs even more (but that does not prevent the nb of freezing on the windows, so there is no thermal problem). I'd be a little disappointed if the fan is always running. Then would be my first laptop in the fan never stops!