Thread: Seagate External HD stopped working with one laptop but works with other

Seagate External HD stopped working with one laptop but works with other

Hello friend, I have a Seagate external hard drive. I am having it since 20 months and it was working fine without any problem. It is 500GB Hard drive; I also have a laptop of an Acer with windows7 operating system, and I have desktop at my home with Windows 7. I used this external Seagate hard drive for data transfer from my desktop and laptop. But now I am facing a problem with my laptop. Now I can use Seagate hard drive to my desktop not in my laptop. Last week my laptop was crashed so I restarted and install the OS again. Now laptop is working fine except it is not detecting my external hard drive. Any suggestion please posts on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Re: Seagate External HD stopped working with one laptop but works with other

Hello friend I have read your problem regarding your Seagate hard drive. I will suggest you to try to put you external hard drive in to another computer. If it works fine there it mean there is no issue with the Seagate hard drive then there would be the issue with the only your laptop. If problem persist you can try this also right click on my computer then you click on the Manage then you click on the disk management system. This may help you. If any other issue post on this forum.

Hello friend it sounds like the problem of your USB power cable. In USB port there are four wire two for power and two for signal. So if your hard disk detecting but not being read it mean that your data wire is bad otherwise there is problem with power cable. So I will suggest you to have a USB hub and try to connect with the help of that USB hub. USB hub has its own power supply so if there would be problem of the power it should work now flawless. So try this. This can solve your problem of the your Seagate hard drive.

Sorry friend for talking log time to reply; please clearly tell me the way to do it because disk management I tried does not work. I have also tried it with my friend laptop of Dell, and it is working fine without any issue at all. I put it in the laptop and it worked, then I just removed the USB, and put it into my new laptop and simple away and it stopped working again. And when it does not work my hard drive light also get off. It also sound for some time then so silent.

Hello friend my experience says that this is related load on the USB ports. You should try put out other USB devices and see is that helps. I had a system in which front USB ports is not working like external hard drives unless they are also plugged into their own power. But when I put that on back of my computer is start working. USB ports limit the amount of current they can put out and usually USB ports. This will surely help you know the actual problem. So try this and keep visiting this forum for future issue.