Thread: My pen drive volume decrease from 4 GB to 576KB

My pen drive volume decrease from 4 GB to 576KB

My Pen drive is of 4 GB and it do not have any of the data or any file present in it but the amount of memory shown is about 576kb instead of 4 GB This mainly happened because of certain problem occurred in my operating system Also some time the USB get disconnected and it do not get connected for long time. If my pen drive is corrupted then is there any way to fix it or to use as something else like converting into something else, recently had recycler in it but it was removed later.

Re: My pen drive volume decrease from 4 GB to 576KB

Did you tried reformatting your USB this may be the problem of System files that are present in the usb, For reformatting connect the usb connect the usb to the computer and go to start then control panel then Administrative tools then Computer management then Storage and then Disk management. In this select the Drive the usb is connected once the usb drive is selected then delete the partition by right clicking the USB and then click Partition. Format the USB to FAT32 and if still the problem exists then it is the hardware problem. That can be fixed by handling the pen drive to the company of which it belong or buy a new one as it will save your time and repairing it will be of the same cost.

The same problem was encountered by me my pen drive was almost showing 0 MB but it was a 8 GB pen drive I did the following thing to bring it alive all I needed an unofficial HP disk known as "HP Drive Key Boot Utility " it work perfectly fine for formatting most of the flash media that are present. The Steps are Install the HP drive Key boot Utility and then open the desktop icon and go to the correct flash drive. Now click the require format you want for the Pen drive to be like Fat, NTFS, FAT32 once you have decided then click the start button this will start the formatting the pen drive in the selected format

Did you create any privacy zone because if you have created any privacy zone in these the whole data is partitioned in to several cells called as private and public partition if you have logged in a private zone, it will show you the memory content of private memory and if you are logged in public zone then you can see the public memory. Even you can be infected by some virus that lead to the problem for that unmount the pen drive and then delete the partition of the pen drive and then use the command mkfs and format the pen drive.

Many of the people do not handle the pendrive in a proper manner they directly pull the pen drive while the data are been transferred between computers, when the pen drive gets corrupted frequently you can use the following steps go to my computers right click on on removable drive and then go to properties here run Error checking and then check of errors. Also there are various free ware soft wares that helps to maintaining the pen drive in the maintainable sites some of them are USB disk cleaner, Daemon tools, USB virus scan.

There might be hidden folders that has been present in the pen drive without your notice has been entered or you must have inserted in the computer where the virus has been present this has triggered to reside in your pen drive. Scan the pen drive with the latest and updated anti virus which is a paid or a free version so that the utility in the anti virus can help to detect the virus in it may also be some physical damage that must have happened to the pen drive.