Thread: iTunes slows down while accessing SMB shares

iTunes slows down while accessing SMB shares

I had iTunes 10 and I upgraded to iTunes 10.1.Now I am trying to host my music library on a Windows 2008 R2 server. While trying to host, it has to access the Windows SMB shares .But the iTunes 10.1 is working very slowly and it takes a long time accessing my Windows SMB shares. Also if I try to keep the connection as WIFI nothing changes. It also takes time for importing albums to iTunes. Also it gets stuck for some time for each song. Please help me out of this problem.

Re: iTunes slows down while accessing SMB shares

I had a look at your problem and thought of a solution for it. I think that while you where upgrading your iTunes something might have gone wrong. I thing that process that you followed had gone a bit other way. Were you facing the same problem while using iTunes 10? You need to first uninstall the iTunes that you are using. After that you can reinstall the iTunes following the same procedure you had used earlier. This will help you to access the SMB shares properly. Along with that you can also import the albums to iTunes.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate you for your time and feeds that you provided me. I used the same procedure as you have mentioned. To begin with I started the uninstallation process which went all right. Then I started with the process of reinstallation following the same procedure as I had used before. Once I finished with that I checked out if the problem is solved or not but it still persists. And this wasn’t a issue when I was using iTunes 10. While trying to host the music library iTunes still is very slow and it takes a long time accessing my Windows SMB shares. So it would be better if you come up with some other solution.

I think that there is no issue when you transfer using SMB, but immediate there is slowness while reading data in from the SMB share using iTunes. For this the solution would be that you switch on to the updated version of iTunes that are available on the website. You just have to install the updated version of iTunes and the problem will get solved. There might be some issues with the current version of iTunes you are using. So try to get the 10.1.1 version of iTunes which will solve all the issues you are currently facing.