Thread: WD My Book 500Gb not working

WD My Book 500Gb not working

Guys I had brought a new WD My Book for storing some stuff which I usually would want to port as I would like to have all the data where ever I go. It was working all fine and I was able to use all its facility that the power supply to make the full function of the hard disk. But last night when I was using the WD My Book, I unknowingly or you can say that stupidly I put the wrong power supply to the WD My Book, so after that the hard disk has stopped working, I have found that after doing various things with the WD My Book still the hard disk is not working, so can some on help me to know that what can I do to make the hard disk to function properly again.

Re: WD My Book 500Gb not working

Hey have you tried opening the hard disk and checked some of the main parts where the power gets supplied to run the hard disk, if not then you must open the same and check for some burn parts or some burnt smell from the hard disk. If suppose that you get the some black parts or the smell coming from the hard disk then what I think is that the hard disk might have got damaged and you will not be able to get the hard disk working again. If you are still in the guarantee period then you must show the same hard disk to the shop from where you have taken it, such that they can help you out.

After you inserted the wrong power supply into the WD My Book, have you tried out removing the parts of the hard disk or even tried out wiping the parts out with a piece of cloth, if not then please give a try and see if you are able to get the hard disk working. Although I don’t think so that the problem will get solved and that once the hardware parts of the hard disk gets damaged then there is no way that the My Book will again get to work again. You might have to require to replace the parts or even have to get a completely new one if suppose that the problem doesn’t gets solved.

I don’t think so that if you are out from the guarantee period and if there is a major problem with the hard disk than any manufacturer will do it because all components are damaged due to the extent of power supply. Due to lack of capacity to absorb voltage spikes all other elements might have got permanently damaged. If this has happened then what I think is that the even the manufacturer will not be able to get this thing corrected by its own. Even if you try replacing the components of that hard disk then it will cost you too much then what it takes to get the new hard disk. So it all depends on your luck.

I am also having some kind of glitch with this WD My Book when I connected a few hours ago int my computer. The hard drive is detected normally in Windows, but there was no car Play and the drive was not displayed in the workplace. The green light was on, however. I then listened once and found that it made no noises. I then restarted it to see if I was able to get the hard disk working properly, but again and again it was causing the same problem. Since I suspect that the hard disk is defective, I wanted to ask if there is any way to save the data, or whether Western Digital can repair the disk.

Try connecting the hard disk on some other computer and see if you are able to get this WD My Book worked again for you what I believe is that the hard disk can not only to be blamed alone as it can be that your computer system might have got the glitch and that is why it is not showing up once you connect the same to your computer, so what you should do is that you should first try and check the same with other computer system and then see what happens, only then you will come to know the exact problem which has occurred.