Thread: Cannot remove Western Digital WD5000 Safely

Cannot remove Western Digital WD5000 Safely

I am have recently bought a new Western Digital WD5000 external hard drive. There is not a single problem for using this portable device on my machine but whenever I try to disconnect this drive after completing the task regarding this device then it does not let me remove it safely. I am getting an warning message as it's currently in use and can't be removed. I am using my WD5000 on Toshiba Satellite P100 running Windows XP OS.

Re: Cannot remove Western Digital WD5000 Safely

Sometimes when you try to remove a USB device and when you use the shortcut from the notification area, you receive a message saying the device can not be removed because it is still in use by another program. If you can identify the program in question, then close it and try again. If this is not the case, then use unlocker to do it for you. Install Unlocker. Right click on the device in question in the My Computer (or Computer) and click on Unlocker. You'll get a list showing all processes that use your device and locked items. You can then finish the process manually, or using the buttons and Unlock Everything Unlock Unlocker. When it could no longer process that uses your device, you can safely remove.

If the problem recurs frequently, then you can automate the process using a file batch :
    • Open a new text file and copy this into it:

Code:
      Cd% PROGRAMFILES%
     CD Unlocker
     Unlocker.exe X: / S
     exit
    Where X is the letter assigned to your device in the workstation. If it is an external hard drive with multiple partitions, then a line Unlocker.exe X: / S for each partition by changing the letter X.
    • Go to the File menu> Save
    • Choose the location of this file
    • Give the name as Deverrouiller.bat
    • Choose 'All files' in type and save the file

Now, double click on this file unlocks your device all the processes that currently use it.

The icon turns taskbar only when a device is connected. Connects a ring road and look in Task Manager ... it is well recognized? No yellow triangle in device manager? In the task Manager there, end explorer.exe. Then go to File, new task: to explore Icons and properties may only appear should "always displayed". This brings up comande in Run dialog box:

c: \ windows \ System32 \ RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

You can also re-register the dll. In Run, always: regsvr32 hotplug.dll. The service "Logical Disk Manager there" should be on Auto / Start

The icon "Remove Hardware Safely" present in the System Tray on the right of the taskbar allows a simple left click to select a volume and thus ensure that no program is using the volume before its withdrawal. The icon is not always present on the computer on which you work. A workaround is to Run (Win + R) command hotplug.dll control that works well with XP. Gag, she has a problem with W7 . When present it is not always easily accessible. Depending on the computer you are working on the task bar can be hidden, if the current netbooks due to the small screen. It can be found in the hidden part of the systray icons. On XP it is ineffective to eject a USB hard drive with the window is still open: Problem when ejecting mass storage device USB. Can not stop the device 'Generic volume' now. Try to stop it later.

It has been settled on WIN7. No need to close the window before clicking on the icon. If WIN7 displays a message that there really is an open file on the volume. With USB you can use the "Eject" from the context menu of the file explorer (Win + E), but we note that if the window closes properly, the icon remains in place and the indicator on the key remains lit or flashes. And we do not know why, "Eject" is not available for USB hard disks. We'll try to see if we can help it, by clicking on an executable present on the key, and therefore always available, and trouble identifying the device. We will verify that the indicator turns off the USB drive. For hard drives, the problem is addressed towards the end of the article.

If it fails there is also a program that really embarrassed.
    Details:

• EjectUSB gives no failure message. He waits, straightforward and that the blocking condition is removed (by closing a document example), it ejects the volume. Experiment with a USB key become familiar.
    • EjectUSB does not pass any other message than that appears in the taskbar. We must watch for this message. It can be a little long because of cleanings performed by the program. We can disable these options, in which case it is immediate.