Thread: Why does my computer battery icon shows red x sign while charging?

Why does my computer battery icon shows red x sign while charging?

I have a Lenovo Y550 laptop . Since last few days I realized that it is not charging correctly when I plugged it in. I shut it down and left it for a while, then went back and start charging it again and was fine then it started again. Now it charging but it shows the red x still why? what does red cross on battery icon mean next to clock on taskbar. when i move the mouse over the icon, it says fully charged. Can anybody provide me with solution? Is there any need to replace my battery ?

Re: Why does my computer battery icon shows red x sign while charging?

It would be showing red x sign due to any of the reason either battery is low Or your laptop battery is dead, you need to change it with a replacement battery. One more solution you can try out is that remove the battery from the laptop plug in the power cord and turn on your laptop then shut down your laptop and put the battery back into laptop. if you are not able to find out the fault then visit your laptop service center. They will trouble shoot your problem.

The problem which you have mentioned It simply tells that battery is completely exhausted and cannot charge any longer. Depending on how old your laptop battery is, you can try to do a reconditioning procedure. Reconditioning procedure depends on the age of your laptop as well as current condition of laptop. First go to Lenovo website and search for "battery recondition" and depending on your laptop model, follow the instructions there. If after you did the procedure and you still have the red x, it means that you will need to purchase a new replacement battery. By the way, try to avoid generic brands for they may cause more problems.

The red X on the charge/battery symbol usually means that there is no battery installed. This could be due to driver’s problem. Again uninstall battery driver and install it.or you can try out other solution that is first Remove the battery from the laptop and clean the gold connectors on it with a dry soft cloth. Put it back in afterward. If it still won't register, you may need a new battery. you need to purchase new battery. Don’t go for any local brands they create more problems afterward.

The difficulty which you have posted here. Few months back, I also was facing the same. I was bit annoyed .while charging it shows x sign and also it was not getting charge .battery percentage was fixed. then I visited Lenovo service center they fixed the problem. they told ud majority of the problems in laptop are due to local adapters and improper power supply. At the end you need to change your laptop battery. Other option is battery reconditioning which again depends on age of your laptop.