Thread: Run old games on imac

Run old games on imac

I have a imac with me . I wish to run some old games in my system . These games are actually meant for an 8.1 or later version and mine is actually 10.5 . I have heard that there are some hard ware tests apple runs in order to do so . I do not have the hardware test disk, but I have read that there is an option of using the install disk 1 (my disks are v10.2) So I place in disk 1, and then restart. I press option and then the start up screen is shown However, there is no hardware test choice. There is actually only a Only a loop arrow, a image of my HD and a forward arrow. Please tell me what can be done in order to get this issue fixed ?

Re: Run old games on imac

The test tool Apple Hardware Test tests your hardware for problems, it has no relevancy with the classic environment.support for classic has been taken away with OS X 10.5. the last edition of OS X permitting you to run classic was 10.4 Tiger .If your Mac was delivered with OS X 10.2, you can surely downgrade your Mac to that edition of OS X. or, you may well install 10.2 on an external HD, boot from there and yhen you can successfully run your classic games. On the other hand, you could try your fate with SheepShaver.

Run the directions to install Classic from the original system disc but ensure the external disk drive is chosen at what time you install from the 10.4 installer, and the Classic environment. perhaps even rename the portable hard drive 10.4.After that when you install the games, open Apple menu then into that choose System Preferences and in that Classic, and before you install the game you will have to run the Classic environment before installing .

I ended up getting a new Western Digital Firewire external HD. I partitioned it , so in the partition I installed tiger in the half and the rest I kept for backup. I then installed tiger on given partition. It didn't ask for the following disk. But at the moment, whenever I attempt to boot from the tiger volume, it does not do anything. If I press option key restart, merely my internal HD displays . If I go via system preferences>startup disk, it reboots then just comes back to my standard HD.