Thread: How to use u-boot with NITDroid?

How to use u-boot with NITDroid?

I am using currently Nokia N900. I have heard that u-boot is released recently. I want to know about this particular firmware u-boot. Also let me know how one can use u-boot on my mobile? Can I multiboot with various firmwares? If it is possible then please let me know steps to achieve the same. Any suggestions to meet my requirement will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to use u-boot with NITDroid?

Well according to me U-Boot is great and mutiboot feature of this particular firmware works excellent. It’s not dangerous to install custom kernel since you flash the same on the kernel partition. It does not require any files for Maemo rootfs. The appended kernel image gets loaded in to RAM by using NOLO and afterwards u-boot unpacks and boots the same. If you install on Nokia N900 the keyboard of the device works fine. You can press any key to suspend u-boot autoboot and you can do anything in terms of loading of kernel.

I think I have done some research work on this particular matter and I have found that NITroid is required to do some work before we try to boot with u-boot. Why because u-boot is heavily depend on multiboot scripts which is used to set up some stuffs like loading the modules and also setting up the filesystem mounts . You can perform such stuff by using an initramfs. However I have found that u-boot is not user friendly.

I don’t why you wanted to use u-boot with multiboot? I have found that it is designed to flash only once and after it loads the kernel of the other operating system from the SD card of yours without doing any flashing. Well mutiboot does flash the kernel each and every time when you select different operating system. I have done the following steps which you can do.
    • You need to pad u-boot to 262144 bytes.
    • You have to convert zImage to uImage
    • You have to concatenate both the files
    I am hoping that it will help you.