Thread: imac works slow after connecting with external hard drive ?

imac works slow after connecting with external hard drive ?

I have just bought a bigger 2TB WD potable e Hard Drive which has connected without problems. The issue looks to be with the iMac itself. It now takes a hell lot of time to process easy commands (for instance reloading google page from a preceding website took over a min). It makes a bit of noise as well out to try and do it but I am thinking whether it's purely coincidental that it's at the present all my files is kept on the External Drive and the iMac has very little on it. Please help me out.

Re: imac works slow after connecting with external hard drive ?

When you said that you had kept all of your media on the external HD and the iMac has very little on it, was the indication on the Safari and all the software you now observe a slow down with are on the external? If that’s the case , check out if the external drive a firewire drive or usb? USB is a slow path for large chunks and bigger size of material relative to FireWire, which is slow as compared to a bus connected SATA drive. There is one question that have you created any partition in the external hard drive .FireWire is quick, but it does not shock me that transfering back and forward to large drive would be slower as compared to internal drive.

It seems as if the iMac wants to search for something on the external drive at the time when you are using internal drive software.What you can do is you can clear out the cache and history and cookies for Safari and check if that helps. May be they are on the external for some cause. You can also try disconnecting the external and check if the iMac does better, if so it means the system is spending time searching at that drive.

The only stuff that came up was when I was sending over my iTunes library from one portable hard disk to the new one. When I test the route on iTunes below 'advanced' it didn't emerge to be pointing at the previous portable the end of the copy to answer somewhat like whether I wanted to continue the path to iTunes uniform and jointly through external HD? Perhaps got that a little incorrect. I answered "yes" anyhow thinking that was the correct thing to perform.

I see there a few of the possible issues . First is you make use of the USB drive, USB is fairly slow compared to SATA and Firewire 800. I will suggest using a Firewire 800 EHD if speed is of worry. Also you require to inform iPhoto, iTunes, Aperture etc.. where their libraries are placed or else the applications will have a difficult (slow) time locating them , I hope you got the solution.