Thread: Sharing media via Home network on Nokia N8

Sharing media via Home network on Nokia N8

Some of them might have an idea what can be done if i want to share music and video on my N8 through home network as the N82. For Youtube, there is Youtube application for N8 which was available on older S60 phones used to be like on my N82. If I install youtube application which i download by searching from google, will give me error. The error saying : "Initialization failed connection problem". Anyone has any information? How can i install the youtube application? I used this application all day in my previous N82. Somethings are missing in this phone with a lot of new features.

Re: Sharing media via Home network on Nokia N8

I not sure about N82 as i have never used it. But, In N8 you can send music or video files via different methods like Bluetooth, Email, Multimedia Messages etc. For the purposes of YouTube. On your N8 there might be a shortcut for mobile Youtube site. you can use that shorcut link. Youtube application is available for a lot of nokia phones from Nokia Ovie Store. Check if there is an application compatible for your N8. Youtube application is free, so you might not have trouble in trying it out. You can try third party applications for sharing files like BlueFTP. I dont know if its available for N8.

I think you need an application that is not yet available though possibly in the near future you can think about it. Do you means to access the windows shared folders on the home network or any such thing. There are some applications to send / receive files over your home network such as Dukto. For Youtube, I have seen that there is a YouTube application on Ovi store for other phones. Not sure about N8 though, it is possible that new official YouTube application may be available in some more time in the near future. Well mobile applications for video streaming are rapidly growing with the development of high speed mobile internet like 3G and 4G services

The home media application which you are talking about uses DLNA feature which is present on N82. But sadly this is missing in the new Nokia N8. Hence you cannot use it in N8. Even if you try to install, it will just give you some kind of error. I dont know exactly what error it will give you, as i had tried this some time back on a friends N8. but it didn't work and then later on i came to know about DLNA feature is missing in the N8 and hence gave up trying it.

Hello, I just got an N8. Now can i share my files shared by my windows computer with this N8 device? I have connected to my home network via wifi, if I use the internet on my phone will it automatically use my wireless network to connect to the Internet when connected or will be using 3G? Is there some form of control option where i can select the option which internet to use? Please help! I have a limited internet bandwidth and i dont want to end up paying too much for internet usage as i have a nice and stable internet connection which i can use on my N8 when at home. this will save me some money on my phone bills. Also if the wifi is connected on the phone then the phone will be in the same network, so i dont think there might be any problems but which application can be used for it?

Go to Settings>Connectivity Settings then set it up according to your use. Make sure you have correct parameters set. The best option is to set it to “Known WiFis” It will remember your home wireless network and then in Data use in Home Network select "Automatic" which will automatically connect to your home wireless network when it is detected by the phone. You could have used Dukto application if there was DLNA feature present on this phone, but unfortunately it’s not. Hope this is helpful.