Thread: How to tell if your iPhone 4 is factory-unlocked?

How to tell if your iPhone 4 is factory-unlocked?

I have taken this iPhone from a friend of mine. Hes was using the same network which i was using that is AT&T and so i didn't get any problem till now. Now i want to know if my phone is factory unlocked or not. My friend hasn't unlocked it so i know either it is locked or if not then it should be factory settings. How can i check this? Is there a way to check it?

Re: How to tell if your iPhone 4 is factory-unlocked?

Open Menu and see if you find cydia or ultrasn0w installed on it. If you find these softwares in your menu then your phone is unlocked. If you dont find these applications then your phone is locked. Did your friend purchase this phone in a plan or just the phone? If it is in a plan then it will be locked. If you have purchased this phone without a plan or contract then it will be unlocked. But make sure by asking him/her.

Thanks for a quick reply. Well my friend brought this phone from the Apple store. It is an old phone. I dont know if it was brought under contract or not, but its more then an year old. But still will ask him whether he has purchased the phone in a contract. Generally in a contract the phone is quite cheap, but i think he paid a lot more then what my other friends paid. But still no guessing business, will ask him which would be better. Actually he has moved down to LA and left this phone to me as a parting present.

The best option to find out if your phone is factory-locked or not is to try some other carrier's sim card. And see if that works and you get network reception. If there is signal reception, that means your phone is not locked, may be that would meanm your friend took this phone without a contract. Or also asking your friend about would be much easier without removing your sim card and inserting someone else's sim card in your phone. check it out and you'll know.

Well, if there is an Apple store near, better visit them and ask then if they can check it. Well i am not sure if they will help you or not, but i dont see a reason why they wont help. You can give it a try. Else the better way is already mentioned, check some other carrier's sim card, or ask your friend. Well, which iphone is it? Unlocking iphones is quite an easy process these days.

jonathoncarr Guest

I had through the post. If there is any other sim's are available then I check with that, If it solve the problem ok otherwise brought it into near the Apple stores. Now-a-days, Many software's are available for unlock the iPhone 4. Everyone is looking for a new method for iPhone 4 unlock on iOS 5, 5.0.1 and 5.1. Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.