Thread: Blackberry 8703e as modem under linux

Blackberry 8703e as modem under linux

I am not certain if there are some other Linux users however as I have seen this ask for in other places with no answers, I thought I would talk about that there is now a tool to make use of the blackberry as a modem beneath linux. I am productively running XmBlackberry as making use of my sprint 8703e as a modem on my gentoo linux based laptop. Try out xmblackberry.sourceforge.net for the task page. Hope this will help someone looking for it.

Re: Blackberry 8703e as modem under linux

I was also looking for such thing. This is great news, I had been wondering regarding a project similar to this, however gave up on the thinking that it will not be supported. I do not be familiar with why I thought this. I am running Debian unstable, as well as have the 8700g by means of T-mobile, so I think it is just a matter of configuration. Tell us how did you configure xmblackberry on the way to initialize the blackberry as a modem?

I setup my dialer to make use of dev->modem and after that ensure which device the Blackberry is on at what time starting xmblackberry ( for example /dev->pts->8) and make a symlink for dev->modem on the way to point to that. I after that start kppp (The KDE internet dialer) and the whole thing works similar to a usual modem.Hope this helps to resolve your issue.

I have not attempted on the way to compile xmblackberry in a while; I am sure that I am a lot of revisions at the back but the whole thing works moreover I do not feel similar to it is worth taking the hazard to alter.I am at present running ubuntu on my laptop however making use of xmblackberr as compiled at what time running Gentoo. Do not forget to drop the libraries in a suitable location for ldconfig (ldconfig makes the essential links as well as cache to the most current shared libraries found inside the directories precise on the command line).

I am a newbie in Linux moreover making use of Ubuntu 7.04. It has been few days at the moment that I am attempting to figure out how to charge my Blackberry 8100 (Pearl) through the USB cable. I am unsuccessful to follow the instructions offered in Blackberry forums to appropriately download as well as install bcharge. On the other hand, to my great shock, I presently found out that it does charge through USB! The yellow Charging Icon on the Blackberry screen continues on, an error message states that “USB power is inadequate." appears for only some seconds however it does charge to 100%.