Thread: Can I have Virtual Machine on MacBook Air?

Can I have Virtual Machine on MacBook Air?

I really do not know if this has been already answered. I really do not have any idea about this but just want to get the things clear. Actually the thing is that here I have 13 inch MacBook Air and it is having 4GB RAM there. Regarding the question that I have actually come here for. I just want to know if I can have the Virtual Machine to run on this MacBook Air without any issues. The scenario is such that at the work place Windows XP is preferred and hence I have to stick to the same by making use of the Virtual Machine. So; is it like that I will have to make some upgrade on MacBook so that I can have this combination to work without much issues. Any help in the matter will be really appreciated.

Re: Can I have Virtual Machine on MacBook Air?

I am of the opinion that if you want to make use of the Virtual Machine and that too without any issues in the fusion mode then I think that you will have to make the upgrade there. As I also have the same combination here in my case and I have seen that you can really not have this virtual machine to run Windows XP on the new MacBook Air there. I am really disappointed with the performance that I was able to experience there. I am of the opinion that you will be required to make the upgrade in your case so that you can have the scenario to run in a much comprehensive manner.

I am also of the same opinion. Regarding the upgrade that has been mentioned above I do not think that you will be able to make that as well. I have had tried using Windows 7 on the MacBook Air and when I did that I saw it asking me to have 4+4Gb of RAM i.e. total of 8GB and I was really unhappy with that. Also having 8GB in MacBook Air will not at all be possible in this case. As it has been said that on MacBook Air you can at most have 4GB of RAM and not more than that. I think that it is the biggest issue so far and hence I am of the opinion you just avoid this.

I would just like you to see for one more scenario. I have Windows 7 running on MacBook Air. IN my case the CPU is bit faster it is based on Core2 Duo. Under Virtual Machine I just allocated 2GB of RAM in FUSION. The performance was bit OK but the scenario got improved when I just got SSD in the case. Now I really enjoy using Windows 7 under fusion on MacBook. I am of the opinion that it will be great if you can just give this a try as well and see for this once.

I would just say that you can have Virtual Machine to run on your MacBook. I do not think that you will be required to have more than 4GB RAM. Actually the scene is that if you are trying to run Windows XP then it will be great if you can just have 512 MB allocated to Windows XP and I am sure that you will really see this working in your case. Also if you are thinking of going with some more than it will be better if you can allocate 1GB of RAM to Windows Vista and 2GB of RAM to Windows 7 so that you can have the smooth scenario running on your MacBook.

If you have not given it a try and you want to give this then it will be better if you can just do it in the way that I am telling you here. I have Widows 7 running on MacBook and it is really working fine. I just allocated 1GB of RAM and not 2GB and 64GB of Hard Disk space and it is really working fine. So I really do not think that you will have any trouble in allocating the same if you have 4GB of RAM and 128GB of Hard Disk. If I can have Windows 7 running on MacBook and that too without much trouble then I am sure that you will really have this working in your case. Make the changes accordingly for your Windows XP and then let me get notified about the same. Hope that you must have liked the suggestion that I have made here.