Thread: iphone 3gs stuck in recovery mode and it has black sreen

iphone 3gs stuck in recovery mode and it has black sreen

Hey all,
    i know there are threads about iphone stuck in recovery mode, but my issue is a bit different.

my iphone is new, i was using snowbreez and firmware 3.1.3.
    after many problems, now my iphone is always on black screen.
    and itunes always ask for restore.
    each time i do the restore, itunes tells me its in factory settings for 9 seconds, but reask for restore again.
    even if you do the restore 100 times, itunes makes the restoration until the end, and ask me again .

wrong things i did in the past(maybe it has something to deal with the prb):
    - i recognized the iphone as an old iphone and not as a new one. (and now even on a different pc, itunes always ask for a restoration,doeast ask me if i want to make it as a new one)
    - i tried to restore directly from itunes(not shift+restore) and stopped the restoration and then i started doing the shift + restore.

so, its always on black screen(completetly black,NO itunes sign) and itunes ask for restore ! any help please ?
    Last edited by elise; 05-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Re: iphone 3gs stuck in recovery mode and it has black sreen

Please some help , would appreciate it

Have you tried downgrading or upgrading to some other IOS version like the iOS 4.2.1 to 4.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.1, or 4.0 or something. To do so, follow the below steps properly:

Step 1 for Windows: Make sure you are logged in with administrator privileges. Navigate to C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc and open the filed name “hosts” with NotePad. Add the following at the very bottom of the file: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Save the file in the same directory.

Step 1 for Mac: In Finder, go to Go > Go To Folder, and enter /etc. Search for the “hosts” file and right click on it to open with TextEdit. Add the following at the very bottom of the file: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Click Save As to save the edited file on your desktop. Name the file “hosts”, and make sure to uncheck the box that says “if no extension is provided, use .txt”. Now drag and drop this edited file to /etc.

Step 2: Download the firmware you want to downgrade from searching it from google.

Step 3: Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Launch iTunes and plug your iPhone in. Press and hold the home and and sleep button together for 10 seconds. After exactly 10 seconds, release the sleep button while still holding the home button. Keep holding the home button until iTunes tells you it has found an iPhone in recovery mode.

Step 4: Now hold the Option key (Mac only) or Shift key (Windows only) while clicking the Restore button in iTunes. A dialog box will pop up and you’ll be able to choose the firmware you want to downgrade to, downloaded in step 2.

Step 5: Your iPhone might throw some errors (ie. error 1004 or 1015). That’s ok. It’s normal so don’t freak out and just click “ok”.

Step 6: Your iPhone should now be stuck in recovery mode, showing the “connect to iTunes” logo. To get out of this, simply download and install TinyUmbrella, launch it, then click on”Exit Recovery”.

That’s it. You should now have successfully downgraded your iPhone.

hey, thanks for the help.
    even if i hold sleep and home buttons as described, i only have black screen with no itunes logo.
    - when i plug the iphone, itunes contact the server right away and tell me iphone in recovery mode(i dont press anything )
    i use ireb in order to complete the restoration process without errors. when the restore ends, itune ask for restore again.

why tinyUmbrella has "exit recovery " disabled for me ?
    Last edited by elise; 07-02-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Above given solution is very right and that should solve the issue. But I am not able to understand that why this is not working in your case. Anyway, you can refer to this thread where they have discussed about the similar problem. I hope that you will get some idea from there. Thank you!!!

Try running a jailbreak over it

The following will work for you to recover lost data of iPhone stuck in recovery mode.
    Solution 1 : Turn off your device , then turn back on and everything should be fine.

Solution 2 : Plug your device into a PC or a MAC then iTunes should detect your device is in recovery mode and release you from recovery mode.

ITUNES will automatically pick it up and a pop up box will probally say that your IPHONE is in recovery mode would you like to restore?

3. Click the restore tab.
    Note - If ITUNES if out of date, this will not work.
    Note - Do not do this over WIFI
    Note - Do not interrupt the restore
    Note - If you did not make a previous back up, your iPhone will restore back to the factory settings.

Solution 3 : RESTORE, your iPod

Solution 4: Press and hold the power button for 5 secs , press and hold the home button and release the power button. Now press the power button and the home button for 10 secs.

Hope iPhone Data Recovery helps!