Thread: Android 3.0 Honeycomb

Android 3.0 Honeycomb

I want to know more about The Android 3.0 which Google has revealed Android 3.0 Honeycomb at the CES. Honeycomb is the next version of the Android platform, designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes, particularly tablets. Many of Android’s existing features will really shine on Honeycomb: refined multi-tasking, elegant notifications, access to over 100,000 apps on Android Market, home screen customization with a new 3D experience and redesigned widgets that are richer and more interactive.I know this many things but want to know more about it.

Re: Android 3.0 Honeycomb

The very fact that is isn't an upsized phone puts it at the top. It's like the perfect hybrid of a computer and smartphone, because iOS uses the larger screen estate too little, and windows 7 uses it too much. Honeycomb on the other hand, wow...
    the only thing i'm skeptical about is the kind of apps we're going to see on this thing, can apps be intelligently downsized on android phones as well? does it share the same SDK as android phones? are android tablets going to have a separate android market?

As much of an Android fan that I am, i have to say No. well, atleast not for now. Apple is to well known for the iPad and iOS. You say "tablet" and people think iPad. Now, give some time, a year or three, and we will see. Yau may be able to run prior Android apps on the new Honeycomb Tablet, but i dont think that 3.0 apps will work on anything less than 3.0. I fully expect there to be some new APIs and frameworks that the 3.0 apps need that will only be found in 3.0, hence, no 3.0 backward compatibility.

Google have also made some powerful upgrades to the web browser, including tabbed browsing, form auto-fill, syncing with your Google Chrome bookmarks, and incognito mode for private browsing.Honeycomb also features the latest Google Mobile innovations including Google Maps 5 with 3D interactions and offline reliability, access to over 3 million Google eBooks, and Google Talk, which now allows you to video and voice chat with any other Google Talk enabled device (PC, tablet, etc).