Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011

Android apps on Maemo?

Hi, I have these two devices Samsung Galaxy 5 and Nokia N900. Both of the devices work excellently in their respective powers. Well i think of n900 as a pocket computer due to its linux operating system and customization options. Also there are some applications which are even better on Samsung galaxy 5 which has android. Now i want to know if i can run Android apps on Maemo? Is it possible? Is there any way to make apk files of android to run on my nokia n900 maemo device? Any information on this would be helpful.
Old 02-02-2011

Re: Android apps on Maemo?

I dont think this is possible. Maemo is an open source linux operating system which has too many applications to run. You can try and find the alternative application for your maemo device. Android is google's OS and i dont think google will allow android applications to run on non-android device. You can check if you can somehow get to install android on your n900. This is the only possible way to run the android applications on your nokia phone. Also check the compatibility of the nokia phone with android and android's phone requirement. Both the samsung and nokia are smart phones, so find a similar application which is available on maemo.
Old 02-02-2011

Nokia N900 Tablet smartphone has a very powerful hardware to run different mobile operating systems. There has been quite a lot of video of the N900 running Google Android 2.3.1 build also known as Android Gingerbread without major problems was seen on YouTube. Nokia N900 with Android installed is definitely not fully functional, but a progressive effort. However, the Android operating system components like the keyboard, Bluetooth, touchscreen, graphics processor, etc are functioning exceptionally well. The only issues reported as of now is that you can not make calls or send text messages. So try to install android if you want to run android applications on n900. This is so far the only which by which you can run android applications on your nokia n900 internet tablet.
Old 02-02-2011

As far as i know, people at Canonical are trying to port android environment on the maemo phones, which will help users to run android applications in maemo. Well this might be possible only if google allows Canonical to make such a software or google, Canonical and nokia come up with a joint venture. Maemo is an operating system, and so is Android, and i dont think google will enter into any such joint ventures. Also google has the support for third party software as android in open source. I know that maemo is also and open source operating system, but i don't know if it has applications as much as android has. Also i dont think people will contribute to maemo as much as they will contribute to android. But i may be wrong, who knows.
Old 02-02-2011

To support Android apps on Maemo natively is not posssible unless you have an interfacing sdk which will convert the applications if you have a source. But then all OS are different from other and so are the SDKs. Well you can port the application if you need. Also on meamo's website they have a section which lets user to state which android applications they want to see on maemo. This might conclude that maemo or nokia is in talks with google to provide support or come out with a special software support for maemo and android tegather. Lets see what happens.
Old 03-02-2011

The fact is all told which is itunes announced having more then 80000 applications from their iphone store, everybody is probably actual that this is the biggest velvet of an Iphone, despite apple's restricted policy and the Iphone OS which lacks lots of features. If I look at Maemo and the Maemo app store, the number is comparatively minor. Android announced the similar more then 10000 application support. But to see, that the Android OS is pushing powerful hard on dominating the phone market and consequently it will hopefully outperform and challenge the Iphone and Itunes platform, mainly because it is open source along with third party application support. However, this won't rush for Maemo, which runs on a few Nokia devices, So wouldn't it be worth the effort to integrate Android Apps natively supporting on Maemo? I am not a coder, but I can trust enough to say that the android os is open source, based on linux like Maemo and I somehow feel there is a serious possibility for running android applications on Maemo without much tweaking.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , ,