Thread: Can i install meego on Nvidia Tegra 2 based devices like LG Optimus 2X

Can i install meego on Nvidia Tegra 2 based devices like LG Optimus 2X

Hello there,
    I have a special interests in traveling and gaming so mobile computing and mobile gaming is what i need. I have tried a couple of smart phones like Dell Streak 7 and LG Optimus 2X. Well these are based on nvidia's super chip which is Nvidia Tegra 2. All such devices which i have come across has Google Android OS. Is it possible or Can i install meego on Nvidia Tegra 2 based devices like LG Optimus 2X? Well i have also used meego some meego devices and i am in love with it. But the design of LG Optimus 2X is simple which i like. I want to know if i can do that or no. If yes how can i do it?

Re: Can i install meego on Nvidia Tegra 2 based devices like LG Optimus 2X

Hey, As of now tegra based devices are limited to Google Android. There have been a quite a lot of development on meego, but still most of the users are happy with android as meego's user interface is not very anticipated by users all around the globe. Also maemo would be a better choice over meego. You might like to check the device support and compatibility for your LG Optimus 2X for meego on LG's website or on meego's website. Nvidia Tegra 2 is a nice chipset which has the power to support windows ce, so getting meego on such device might be possible. But do correct me if i'm wrong. While Windows CE has a draw back on Tegra 2 devices as windows CE supports only 512MB memory and only one processor and Tegra 2 is a dual core cpu.

Nvidia Tegra 2 is a powerful SOC which has a frequency of 1Ghz which is great for a smart phone, tablet pc or even netbook which can run a full-fledged desktop OS like many Linux variant with quite a decent speed. I dont see any reason to limit Tegra 2 based devcies to inferior operating systems like Windows CE. As already mentioned, Windows CE 6.0 supports only 512Mb RAM and only one processor. Since the Tegra 2 has two Cores which will be totally useless on Windows CE. Well about meego, i have no idea if it is really possible to install meego on Tegra devices. If you are a developer, you can check the minimum system requirement for meego and try porting it to tegra 2 device yourself. Hope you find a possible solution. And if you find one, do post and make us aware about the same.

Nvidia Tegra 2 is a powerful dual core chip and with the frequency of 1 Ghz a desktop based operating system can run quite decently on it. Well porting of windows based OS is not a good idea. However you can try ubuntu. Ubuntu is already ported for some tegra 2 based devices. I have heard about tegra 2 ubuntu project a while which was a bit buggy. Well if Android can run ubuntu can run too and meego too. As android is a variant which is built on linux kernel. Also drivers would be the biggest challenge you might find when porting any OS to non supported device. You can build the OS with git as afar as i know. Also before porting the OS to the actual device i would recommend you to download SDK and emulator on which you can try building as your LG Optimus X2 might get bricked in the process if something goes wrong. Also keep taking backups more often in the process which will help you in tracking the progress and eliminating errors.

MeeGo is the Nokia/Intel's joint venture project. I know that currently, Ubuntu is the main Tegra 2 development platform, but I was excited to see the possibilities if there were plans for MeeGo support. As it is using QT besides GTK for software development, i assume it is usung the lasting traditional X server, thought not sure as i haven't seen the code as yet. It would be far more likely to work properly with the already existing Ubuntu driver development alone. However, considering I don't have a Tegra 2 board on which i can test this one, nor have I downloaded the MeeGo codebase yet, I am also looking forward to have it, if anyone here has it or Nvidia or just one of the board developers, believe any idea if the Tegra 2 board is gonna work with 3D Hardwware acceleration in that OS yet.

I believe the GUI of MeeGo can work properly with Ubuntu environment just fine. At the same time Canonical was wanting to release a Moblin based Ubuntu edition too. But then i don't know what happened to it. One thing is for sure, that Until a stable and more compatible Linux kernel for the Tegra is released, only then Meego would be able to run smoothly on Tegra2 based systems. I was also wondering if the MeeGo image available for download has xserver further support up and working on it to make sure OpenGL ES and OpenMax in order to use the Hardware acceletation properly. MeeGo was originally being built over ARMv7 based processors but was not of any help to the Tegra platfom due to its D16 register limit. Also nVidia released the linux binaries for tegra package is closed graphics driver binaries also these are xorg 1.6. Everybody has switched on with ubuntu and meego onto xorg 1.9. Without nVidia providing updated binary files, it is not possible for us to upgrade. We will be limited to downgrading the xorg within MeeGo to 1.6.