Thread: Does Meego needs Java

Does Meego needs Java

No require to say one of the majority things I failed to spot (and steal mislaid) in N900 was Java. Even though community did an immense job on getting it completed, but if it was there from day one it would have been immense. Now that we are getting close to releasing the initial Meego handset, would not be improved for java to be implemented? I am not a developer but I know regarding all the tools, sdk's, and so on; and I discover java to be extremely helpful and could interest more developers to make applications and games for Meego. So I am insistent Meego development team for inhabitant implementation of java, j2me, openjdk, and netbeans. So is this all true?

Re: Does Meego needs Java

Here in your case I must say that please remain Meego away from all these craps: java, python and mono! I think a solitary toolkit and language that is C++, is improved for applications developments (seem at iPhone and its Object) so discontinue counting others sorts of craps in the entire novel OSes that comes out. I am only believed in C++, which is the best one for me. I wish you like my comment in my suggestion.

It is a truth that the more development alternatives an operating system gives, the extra developers are involved by it, because they can use again their skills to simply port obtainable applications. The cause why there are so many applications for the iPhone or iPad is the similar as why there is so much malware for Microsoft's Windows operating system sequence: it is more extensively utilized and therefore targets a better amount of users. Not of necessity that Objective-C is good (by the way. there are applications utilizing Mono for the iPhone or iPad Meego, as a Linux-based OS, is prepared to give Java, Mono and Python support (and for the upcoming two the Netbook UX previously does). The trouble is, that it at a standstill wants to be evaluated what sort of overhead this would fabricate (boot time, OS size). As well if there will be a few sort of profitable application stores for Meego, the strategy for application acceptance required to be adapted for numerous programming languages. At a standstill, I for myself would like to observe more than just C or C++ and Qt support for this good operating system.

Not me, because all these languages are deep and sluggish :
    1. python is a writing language
    2. java is a virtual machine
    3. mono is directed cipher

Thus for improved speed and lightweight operating system, we require to stick to C++, which is the just language with Qt bindings that is not interpreted, virtualized or handled. Java, Python or Mono has not anything to do with an embedded platform: they are not optimized (only seem how Java is repetition the hardware requirements of android) I have completed a few embedded chips programming and the just languages are ASM and C. Therefore I am not saying we could do ASM programs in Meego, and today's compiler are well sufficient to fabricate improved ASM than yourself, but we could stay with C++, and if likely one solitary UI toolkit because inserting Gtk, SWING, wXwidgets will smash the visual consistency : it is previously the main PB on desktop Linuxes, but the trouble is inferior for a mobile platform : we require a visual unity to be certain users don't discover the platform 'geeky' and the Devs can produce simply conform applications for it.

You can write crappy applications with any language so no tip in arguing what language is crap and what's not. The thing is to know while to utilize what, to select right tools for the correct job. Python is an immense tool for instance for prototyping and non presentation critical applications. The majority people would not write 1000 lines of C++ for a few prototype applications if they can write 100 lines of python in its place. Doing it in C++ would be like killing mosquitoes with a toboggan hammer, influential yes but sluggish to get results.