Thread: N900 USB PORT loosely held with the device

N900 USB PORT loosely held with the device

Hello everyone, I have been reading and hearing almost form every one about USB problem on the N900, this is the first time that I have been seen such a wide number of people complaining about the Nokias product and the warranty. The Usb port of the Nokia N900 is very delicate on the device, it makes a lot of movement here and there while connected trough the usb. It fells like its going to get broken any time so in order to avoid this I have asked Nokia about it but then also they replied to me saying that the USb is just fine and that is the way it has been developed onto the device. But then also I would want to get the usb port to get itself attach tightly, so can any one help me to making this thing happen.

re: N900 USB PORT loosely held with the device

I would like to provide some solution to the company for this problem, since each and every one of us is having some or the other problem with the loose connection of the usb port. My solution would be to break up the usb connector on the adapter and put just a little epoxy around the usb port enforcing it to get itself attached carefully with a peace of wire, such that it can hold the usb port between the plastic and the metal. This would make the usb port get tightly attached to the surrounding area of the usb port around the device. This changes should be done in all of the nokia N900 phone that are being manufactured now.

Although the solution that is provided on the upper post is a good one but I would like to add up few points to the above post, that when trying to put epoxy through the USB port hole be carefull so as not make more room for the epoxy to get in as it will make things more difficult on the outside and it won't stick to anything on the inside. Also, one more solution could be that of bending down the teeth on the charger and USB cable is also a good solution if you don’t want to open the device.

Hey I would also want to deliver one suggestion to the Nokia panel team about the modification that are needed in the device, I would want that the Usb port to be extended with the pads by scraping the green solder mask layer and resolder the port. This will make the usb to come out a bit more out of the surface of the device and will not make any damage to internal part of the device as well. But we will have to take a special care as re-soldering takes experience and must be followed with utmost care. Amy one who doesn’t have all the knowledge of the soldering please do not perform this act as it is very dangerous

Re: N900 USB PORT loosely held with the device

In order to follow a simplest way so as to get the job done without even putting allot of effort I would suggest you to glue the area surrounding the usb, this would make the usb port of the device to get attach tightly with the surrounding area of the usb port. This would be the more easier then soldering or to dismante or remove all the parts of the N900 and then carry out the operation of tightening the usb port. Also once this is done then it would make it impossible to take the usb port apart from the device in the future.