Thread: Motorola Atrix with other ROMs

Motorola Atrix with other ROMs

I am posting this article because, most of you have a terminal Android and inform others to acquire (I guess). What brings you closer, is a fundamental commitment to the promises of Android:
    • All applications are born equal. This implies that we can replace any application, including the main interface: the office
    • Android is free software. Everyone can obtain a copy, modify and distribute notwithstanding some conditions for most corresponding to the Apache license or the GNU
    • The application installation is independent of the medium of distribution of the latter and not dependent on any remote CA.
    Around these promises revolve certain inalienable freedoms considered "normal" by the community :
    • The right to regular updates
    • Or at least the possibility of installing ROMs alternative (and to update one's own terminal)
    These promises are problematic here. If the computer world (which you generally part, dear readers but especially with Apple, Microsoft, Google and most of their historical partners are) considered these freedoms for granted, it is not the same for telephone manufacturers or traders from the world of telecommunications. They do not consider marketing tools (to evolve) but products. A product is frozen in time with precise specifications and functionality. At each major change, the customer must buy a new product in its entirety. These differences are enough to constitute a real culture shock among the various players in these industries when they work together.

Re: Motorola Atrix with other ROMs

Obviously, the question that follows is: what would the customer do? And it is not easy to answer. In fact, most customers buy a phone (Android or other). They buy a product and do not expect that latter evolves and acquires new features. Others, however, buy a mobile terminal (Android or not). They buy a tool, a base on which is added other tools (OS, applications, etc..) And they expect that this tool evolves as their proprietary software (paid upgrade) or as free solutions and their web sites (free upgrades and frequent). You buy the high end Samsung, HTC, etc.. But you're not the majority (although the stats Frandroid increase in most Francophone countries). Your friends, your family, people in the subway and the bus, they take the low and mid-range of Samsung, they take the LG, Sony-Ericsson. It irritates you that they do not get updated. Themselves and for that matter since you've explained them. But when they bought their phone, before you explain to them, do they want updates? ROMs alternatives? Root access? And it is 2.1. And it does not care until such time that you dare to approach it and you want it in your mobile. But even the attending more than a month, you'll have difficulty persuading it to accept the idea of spending in cyanogen. Besides, if could you pass the phone to other, it's just because you did not understand what it was.!!

Oh sure, what Motorola has done, a developer / integrator / architect experienced can reproduce it but personally, as a user, if I can possibly take the risk of bricker my phone, I will not risk my computer (no, flash terminal Android is not as trivial as changing the OS on a computer with all the specifications are standardized and selected for compatibility). And if I were a builder, I certainly will not spend no money to provide after sales service terminal flashed when I already spent so much R & D for cases of original uses. And no, I do not conceive of leaving the option to flash my device without providing the support. Unfortunately, I think the majority of clients are in the category buys a phone, is satisfied and mocks the last days (they are often unaware) and ROMA. So the nasty habit of locking phones and drag the update is not ready to change. In any case not for me, Motorola Atrix 4G: bootloader which will probably be locked, updated by Motorola rather weak has a good support.

Cons by choosing to lock a bootloader is nonsense. Let me explain. Which may allow the hack and that could preserve the unit is essentially the user "root" that we can generate / add what you want, or not applicable owner. Except that the "rootage" will certainly be available for this device in a few days after its release. So that failure to bike that will in any way a hacked phone. The operation of locking the bootloader that contains the Linux kernel is really bad for me because it goes against the trend of android beyond version 2.3: The Automatic Updates system managed by Google. One can imagine that eventually the manufacturer no longer have to touch the kernel, but just develop modules for specific hardware (currently being done for the milestone to compensate for the updated kernel that is blocked: adding modules to overclock, adding support for ext2 etc.. result CyanogenMod4Milestone available!). Possible with Atrix? Certainly not if they do not change their strategy of clamping ...

So I might agree with you Monty1 for this kind of phone that packs a whole environment. But it should ensure the monitoring of Motorola updates android for a period of 2 years (time of engagement in a common operator) and not wait 9 months! We are very far! Meanwhile it is unthinkable for me to buy a smartphone with a bootloader blocked. And even if this commitment was made, I will be criticized because everyone will not take the Atrix for these accessories losing functions netbook / tv to enjoy the Roma alternatives.