Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 24-01-2011

Is it possible to have BFS for the power kernel

I currently uninstalled power kernel .45 along with install bfs kernel straight from the deb's on the maemo inside my Nokia cell phone. I have tried out the code dpkg -i *.deb submission but it failed for the first time since it attempted to install kernel flasher previous to the kernel I also complained about dependence. But I was unsuccessful to install linux-kernel header together. Is it really required? So I need to know that BFS will work or not for the power kernel in my maemo.
Old 24-01-2011

Re: Is it possible to have BFS for the power kernel

I have finished a primary attempt for applying the BFS scheduler patch to both the power kernel as well as the stock 2.6.28-omap1 kernel. It will install the correspondent of the most recent kernel-power + BFS patches. This can be installed above kernel-power just very well. The package executive will believe it an update. Will install the correspondent latest kernel-power + for the BFS patches.
Old 24-01-2011

Suppose your stock kernel is not installing thorugh the BFS kernel then the source is in the index kernel-2.6.28-stock as well as the patch file is copied to the similar directory then the procedure is

Code:
host# cd kernel-2.7.18-stock
host# patch -p1 < kernel-2.7.18-bfs.patch
At this time every patches should be functional to ok. If not, well, anything goes wrong and you should let me know.

Now change to the kernel-2.7.18-stock within the scratchbox environment

Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~/kernel-2.7.18-stock] > make rx51_defconfig
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~/kernel-2.7.18-stock] > make oldconfig
[sbox-FREMANTLE_ARMEL: ~/kernel-2.7.18-stock] > make
This should put together the kernel as well as all necessary mod
ules just fine for the BFS. If you've flashed a kernel as well as updated the kernel modules on your cell phone you should be very well. or else. Try it with the store kernel first!
Old 24-01-2011

It is actually cool it this to integrate BFS kernel into Power kernel. It is probable to have more than one scheduler in single kernel as well as performing a switch (not unavoidably in runtime but after a reboot perhaps). When n900 is on elevated load its receptiveness leaves a huge deal to be preferred. Its even not as good as when it is over clocked. It from time to time (ie after installing an app in HAM) stands for 30 or more seconds not act in response to any user movement. I would keen to test if and how BFS affect that but I actually don't want to lose Power kernel features.
Old 24-01-2011

if you had understand the BFS you'd recognize it's objective is to decrease latency as well as benchmark frequency is much tough than the characteristic benchmarking of a solitary process presentation. Which is the majority benchmarks tests. Superior for testing over clocking of the maemo if you need to install the BFS kernel on it doesn't tell you much of no matter which in this case. I can consider of a few fine latency tests but the mistake bounds may be moderately high. Unless someone has a robot to press on buttons for me will work.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , ,