Thread: AT&T permits to install apps from Android Market

AT&T permits to install apps from Android Market

AT&T prohibits the installation of third party apps on their phones! Will say: Phones from AT&T have no longer an option, which allows "foreign" software to install. Permits will only be yet to install apps from the Android Market. Perhaps it will find some good critics fragmentation that now "Secondary Markets" a bolt is advanced. At least on the devices from AT & T - the largest U.S. provider! AT&T says its step so that one can only as areas of malware developers really stop. I find the reasoning of AT&T regard as dishonest! The option is really taken out only for that reason, because you want to avoid the spread of malware? I'm surprised! Because recently you could still read that it had managed a team of malware spread through the Android Market. The total protection offered by the Google Market not so. So what is it then? Precisely we will not be able to find out. But it is quite possible that AT & T's phones for a separate, closed system such as the "iPhone App Store" to prepare. Of course this is pure speculation. But totally dismissed out of hand is not. I could well imagine that pure calculus behind this step because you have probably already made a deal with Google in terms of "market" and "commission".

Re: AT&T permits to install apps from Android Market

What has always appealed to me particularly Android was the fact that it is open source and truly open to all sides. This promotes innovation! For in this way many people work on a system. With Android, according to Google there are some 180,000 developers are working on the Android. The probability that regularly in this huge number of developers is a man here who has a brilliant idea is great. And so just created innovations. Now we are talking about the market and not through the operating system as such. Who has nothing to long with Android, knows what pitfalls, gaps and weaknesses of the Android Market has. External providers have so ensure competition by bringing better products and solutions in the market. Clear: Android is, of course, somehow also affected. And so one might think that I am not any objective. This can even tune a little. In general this is not true, however. Because our store is preinstalled in the rule, and thus has always root access. Our business model is thus not at risk. Other stores like SlideMe want, but here is a big issue. AT & T is America's largest provider with a large market power and a corresponding number of selling Android phones. This breaks away for many App provider much business. And who knows when to follow the other providers ...

The point that weighs but for me the hardest is the point of "freedom" offered by Android really wanted to - and should. What we have here already about Apple - and replaced its proprietary system? I like Apple! Really! I have been working with Macs and am completely satisfied with these computers. It has always bothered me but that I can not decide what software I install on an iPhone. Not so with Android: the app APKatcher "for example, I could install my Android app at any time and see when she was not yet available in the market, as we have here are working on it. With a non Android phone would be no longer possible! They would necessarily call into the Market prior to installing them.

If AT & T runs through it will increase the number of rooted AnyNET Devices. The procedures for ROOT will be easier than they already are. Etc.. I would have no fear in front of the message. I see it with AT & T as critical. The question that concerns me is the "why"? Very reason it's not safe ... Just look at just the eternal wrangling with the iPhone. Jailbreak, firmware update, etc. The bite itself in the foot yet. Hardly any new firmware, jailbreak already out there, etc. And that is Apple! What AT & T may, however flown? Which are primarily selling mobile phone provider, the "foreign" hardware under their own branding. Behind it is and will be HTC. And people in Taiwan. Either there is a backdoor (from a backdoor from HTC) of Taiwan, or ROOT (Only a very few people know how to get rooted telephone. And even fewer will dare it). Times more important would be a comprehensive article on "secondary markets", with comparisons, benefits, etc.

Let's look at Apple, so iPhone and iPad on. This hardware is (good but really) just a content provider. In the end, Apple deserves. Because the content can only be purchased via iTunes. Apple creams off at the provider's contracts with Apple creams from the iTunes purchases, Apple skims in eBooks purchases. So, and now Android. Google will offer an iTunes-derivative. That was in the news. Maybe AT & T has a percentage Coop. Google agreed that AT & T, the third-party software makes things tight for that are not settled via Google. I wonder just how to work with such devices to developers because they install so each time you run one of the APK, the market is not.

Did you mean app providers? For the app developer would likely to be good, if they do not have to maintain their apps in dozens of markets of dozens of different conditions. In general, I think that this step is here completely overrated. How many root is the Android users for their mobile phone if you please? And how many even know where you have to set the default to install apps, including from non-market sources? And how many do this? If you look at it objectively, it should be in <1% move area. It is a real concern, if Google the terms for the market to developers so as to change, that they take an exclusive distribution rights. Because then have exclusive pre-Markets no chance. I know of course that Android will make money and must - not that I was misunderstood. Unfortunately, and I'm out of it no secret, I think that is very bad.