Thread: Is it possible to have a dual ARM Cortex A9 in Nokia N9

Is it possible to have a dual ARM Cortex A9 in Nokia N9

I have a Nokia N9 cell phone I just heard that we can introduce a dual Cortex A9 of ARM in the Nokia n series cell phone. It is quite a strange thing but I really need to have such a platform on the Nokia N-series and especially on the Nokia N9 cell phone. So anyknows that what is this ARM cortex A9 is about does it will matched properly with the hardware and the application which is install on the Nokia n9 cell phone. Currently I had a maemo on it. So anybody knows about this dual ARM Cortex A9 then please provide me some thoughts or the specification of dual ARM Cortex A9 on this thread. Help will be respected.

Re: Is it possible to have a dual ARM Cortex A9 in Nokia N9

It is officially proclaimed (kind of, as good as it gets). The next generation high end Nokia Smart phone will contain a ST Ericsson U8500 Dual ARM Cortex-A9 (speed of mainly 1.2 GHz in the processor) and a mainly of 400MP GPU output. IMO the Nokia N9 will contain this specification for the people who are desire, but it is not obvious if it runs MeeGo or Symbian simultaneously at one on this processor. There could be numerous devices nevertheless, but it appears that the MeeGo/Harmattan (the original N9) is scrapped on the whole, together the original HW as well as the Operating system.

ST Ericsson authenticates that Nokia will transport at least one cell phone with the U8500 platform, an ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core at 1.1 Ghz through a MALI 400 GPU this first half of 2011. But I don’t know, what will it be? A Symbian mobile, a MeeGo mobile or both? Maybe also a tablet (not probable - yet, almost certainly never, for the reason that Nokia will use Intel IMO). But one thing is for sure. Within half a year we can obtain a Nokia of various sorts (most possibly a phone) with the ST Ericsson U8500 platform: dual Cortex-A9 at 1.2 GHz as well as a multi core GPU. The presentation will be like nothing we have observed before. Call it what you desire: N9, N007, N1001 no matter what, it doesn't issue.

The "first wave" of MeeGo platformed cell phone also known as N9 MeeGo Harmatton is fragment by the looks of it (if they ever continue living other than as plans). They are going straightforwardly to ST Ericsson dual Arm MeeGo and Symbian. Besides, who would require anything less, when the dual ARM Cortex A9 is approaching in first half of 2011. The N9 runs Nokia's proprietary substitute for MeeGo Handset UX on its interior screen. Then, when dock, the N9 releases MeeGo Netbook UX on the netbook screen. i.e. until the 10-inch tablet case is released in Q3 as well as becomes an alternative. The upcoming MeeGo Tablet UX become visible there, of course.

The executive from ST Ericsson speaks the most significant stuff at the end: Nokia is a representative partner who will launch products with the U8500 as well as the first mobiles will be coming in first half of 2011. Certainly, there is the option that the U8500 will not be utilized in the N9, as he speaks, it will work with Symbian also and tablets would be probable, too. But how possible is a jump from ARM11 to ARM Cortex-A9-Dualcore in Symbian, inside six months? I am in no doubt a lot of customers would be a slight upset. And a Nokia tablet? Nothing is impracticable, but ST Erricson appears to make out the U8500 as Smart phone platform initially the remaining things second. So perhaps, but that doesn’t indicate that the N9 can’t utilize it, too.