Thread: Is it possible to run maemo apps on meego platform

Is it possible to run maemo apps on meego platform

I have a Nokia N900 mobile I want to know can the apps that have been made to run on the n900 maemo platform carry on to function when switching to meego or will it be a case of having to begin from scratch with meego apps? I also want to know that whether ovi store work well in meego (and vice versa)? What regarding apps I've compensated for through ovi? I can't hang around to upgrade to meego , but not also keen on losing many apps I've installed on my n900. So anyone knows what should be doing in order to run the maemo apps in the meego platform in same nokia n900 cell phone.

Re: Is it possible to run maemo apps on meego platform

Those manufacturers make a use of Nokia Qt framework should run on the next platform easily with a few minor customizations. Unluckily many Maemo apps are written in Gtk+ that being said, I consider that in the subsequent device they will carry on to support Gtk+ apps in some form. So hopefully yes, but there is forever a bit of work concerned in porting among "Maemo" releases. As well as the SDK is also released yet means that things are almost certainly going to be a little late to "market".

Both Maemo 5 as well as MeeGo utilize Qt framework. Qt applications may perform on MeeGo, but they may require reinstalling (Maemo 5 make use of .deb, as well as MeeGo make use of .rpm). MeeGo also comprises GTK+ for companionable with older, non-Qt applications. Depending on the platform, applications will be making available from either the Intel App or the Nokia Ovi digital software allotment systems. I expect you will not be dissatisfied at all. They had launched of MeeGo version 1 in the second quarter of 2010. Most of us expect MeeGo- based products to commence appearing based on OEM as well as OSV product schedules.

I think that the 99% of right coded QT apps of the maemo will be well-matched with the meego platform if they don’t access N900 hardware directly. The majority of the Gtk+ apps are present for the maemo application to run inside the meego environment. Desktop Widgets will probably not work due to the Hildon library not incorporated in Meego. The major problem is probably the package manager is unusual so the developers require repacking packet to RPM as an alternative of DEB packages.

You could either need to dpkg installed in MeeGo also (and remember that Harmattan aka "the first MeeGo-ish OS that comes out through the subsequent Nokia mobile" is still having DEB), and there are tools similar to unfamiliar which can exchange among RPM and DEB. Ignoring several technological details (like scripts as well as dependence information between other metadata), packages can be thought of as archive files that just enclose all files as they are put in in the file system - if the dependence are pleased and the binaries are compiled for the right planning, there's no problem with captivating the contents of a .deb package as well as setting it up within an RPM-based system (that is, if you don't need the source obtainable - or else you could just make a Spec File as well as make a "native" RPM, which is less of an problem than altering the source code as well as rewriting code to take away the Maemo 5 dependence and put back them with their MeeGo correspondent).