Thread: Maemo 5 slows the Nokia N900

Maemo 5 slows the Nokia N900

Nokia N900 is one of my favorite, because enhancement to communication. Email has been enhanced with the aptitude to recognize or decline an event incitement right there in your inbox, and Facebook IM chat has also been bundled in. The release also fetches with it video calling, allowing users face-to-face chatting anywhere. But now I am observing that Maemo 5 slows the Nokia N900. If someone over there have used it, please share your experience with me here.

Re: Maemo 5 slows the Nokia N900

I frequently make use of music, web browsing, IM, sms, phone calls, calculator, xterm, along with some games, etc. I sometimes think that I am pushing my mobile phone a little bit. But still I don't have such problems. However, I keep on testing quite a bit with software so I conclude up rebooting every 4-5 days as some of the apps in testing might not be very stable which is for temporary being. But the Maemo 5 stays speedy and smooth. I think that the problem you are facing might because of some apps installed in it. What apps do you have installed and what do you regularly use? If better results try to uninstall some apps that can be responsible for slowing down your cellphone.

Certainly there are always the screensaver with both hands clasped to launch the device but its touch interface is very different from that encountered by touch smartphones Symbian S60 5th edition. It is actually far less public, the N900 is more aimed at an audience of technophiles that very public. Certainly there are always the screensaver with both hands clasped to launch the device but its touch interface is very different from that encountered by touch smartphones Symbian S60 5th edition. It is actually far less public, the N900 is more aimed at an audience of technophiles that very public. By default, there is no widget to view or update their status to their favorite social networks. Only an icon Facebook is available via the application launcher. After downloading and installing this program, it becomes possible to display on the home page flows updated in near real time of its Facebook status. For Twitter, it will download a third party program (Mauku) available on the site Maemo.org to have the list of recently updated feed without going through the site's mobile social network. This program is not usable as a widget on the homepage.

To rearrange the icons or widgets on the 4 home pages of the smartphone, simply click once on the "Desktop" then click on the icon that appears in the upper right (a wheel). Just then move the items to the place of its choice. By clicking on the menu at the top left of the page, you can add widgets, shortcuts, web or change the theme. In general, for more control over the parameters of a program, it is possible to click at the top and middle of the screen. This displays a menu for each application. On the home page, this menu does not exist but it is still possible to click on the hour to handle the volume of the device, its connections, battery or its profile. To finish on the touch interface of the smartphone N900, note the use of a button at the top left of the screen, with multiple functions. This is a virtual multi-function button allows you to manage programs already launched - the system is multitasking - to view an application launcher or to return to the home page.

The transition from one application to another on the N900 is very fast but can sometimes know some delays, especially if many applications have already been launched. In our tests, the chip ARM Cortex A8 (600 Mhz) has done wonders, leaving the system in most cases very fluid. Only a few hanging problems were noted when viewing heavy web pages incorporating Flash animations. The launch system applications in the background is well designed, near the "ALT + TAB" for users of Windows PCs. We found some screenshots of applications displayed as thumbnails. A click on the application displays the full screen. However, to complicate this task a bit, some programs may be closed by clicking directly on the cross at the top right corner of the screen, while for others it will be necessary to click the top left of the screen Multifunction button to force it to tilt in the background.

Yeah, even I think that some apps must be causing the issue. Otherwise according to me, Maemo 5 works fine with the Nokia N900. If you are not able to find out an exact reason for it, get checked that from Service Center.

However, to complicate this task a bit, some programs may be closed by clicking directly on the cross at the top right corner of the screen, while for others it will be necessary to click the top left of the screen Multifunction button to force it to tilt in the background.
    Similarly, it would have been better, as on the Web system Palm OS, facilitating the transition from one application to another. Because the system forcing them to click the button multifunction virtual top left of the screen is not very intuitive. And depending on the speed of clicking this button, the function performed will be different. It is a blow to take, but it would have been easier to display a taskbar where you can find the icons of programs already launched. The advantage of the Maemo platform is its open side and open-source, he should not have to wait very long to enjoy such functionality. Last detail, all the programs running on the smartphone will not run in landscape mode. Only a few applications such as telephone call handler or photos will be able to use the accelerometer to switch to portrait mode. It's quite strange, all modern smartphones can easily manage a shift in portrait / landscape for most of their embedded applications.

I am loving N900 because of a comprehensive web browser. Touch interface aside, the N900 differs from its competitors by using a web browser high performance derivative of the Mozilla, making it compatible with version 9.4 and Flash with AJAX. Web pages appear quickly, they are heavy or light (Google, Google News). Suffice it to deploy its full QWERTY keyboard to type the address of a website or search Google. The history of Web pages displayed as thumbnails, a feature very interesting and very practical. And icing on the cake, the pages can manage Flash movies. We have tested several sites with Flash animations; result: advertisements displayed without jerking while most remain choppy video in Flash. As the device does not include multi screen, it is possible to zoom in or out through the web pages directly by using two physical buttons on the Smartphone. These are the volume buttons that perform this function when the browser is launched. Note that the latter can not handle tabs like Firefox or IE on PC but can be run in several different forums. Thereby opening a new page, a new instance of the browser is launched to reduce it, display it full screen or close easily.